Default New guy......new car. And the essential question post.....

I’ve had multiple 240’s over the years.....and recently fell for the proverbial “little old lady from Pasadena” xc70. It was, literally, owned by a senior in Pasadena.......83k, with a solid service history. (Sorta solid, see below). Also: it’s my fav color (Willow/Oak)......just needs some Tellus wheels and all-terrains!

I’ve been sorting out its 90k service to baseline it. So far, all I have left is Haldex and diff fluids. I’ve flushed the trans, replaced the right CV (that was a PITA), done a couple coils and fuel pressure sender, and cleaned the MAF as well. Code reader says it’s a pretty happy car now, and it feels like it.

Here is my dilemma: When I bought it, it had only a single switchblade key. The remote is dead, the back cover is dodgy, and the spring is broken.

My semi-local dealer will happily provide me with a switchblade for $650, and a valet key for $300. They wouldn’t answer whether using my existing blade and end part would allow me to save any at all.......sigh. I’ll make it into some kind of useful spare......I guess. It’ll make dropping a grand on keys better, maybe?

So, I’ll be making the 200 mile trek to pay my dues to the gods of Sweden (via my dealer and their VIDA/DICE)......and, while I’m there, I’m wondering if I should have them do any other software updates? I know my car hasn’t seen a dealer since it had 10kmiles.......this is why I had to replace coils and FPS........for some reason, little old prior owner loved SEARS! They added two aftermarket Duralast coils, some AC Delco plugs, and a generic FPS. Oh.....and the ATF I just flushed out of the PS system.

I’m thankful that it’s service history at least included decent synthetic oil.....but the hard parts were total junk. (I still get to look forward to RE-replacing front Sensen struts.....they don’t leak, yet, but they’re only 2k miles old).

What do you all think? Is there anything to be gained by updating the Engine and Trans software? I can’t seem to find any opinions. Or: should I just wait and do an aftermarket engine tune one day? (Assuming I don’t just leave it be......because I kinda like it as it is!)

$650 is crazy for a new transponder/key. I was in the same situation as you when I bought my XC (bought it used w/ about 60K on the OD). I bought a new blank key and transponder from Tasca for about $250 and then had to take it to the dealer to have them code it to my car. I think that was about $100. This was 5+ years ago, so the pricing probably increased, but not $300.

If your actual key works OK, you can switch that to a new transponder too. The key has a chip inside of it, you can separate that from the transponder and buy a new one (transponder). I think you still need that coded to your car by the dealer. You can't go used or aftermarket.

One more option is to repair yours. I found a guy recommended on Mathew's Volvo site that repairs them and sent mine to him. He fixed my original spring fairly inexpensively. If you can't find him on the Mathews's Volvo forum, I can find his contact info if your'e interested.

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

I drive with ID48 chip glued to antenna module and hidden under the dash. Ignition lock cylinder has a fake antenna module that is not attached to anything. I also swapped the cylinder itself from my crushed car, because I still had all the 3 keys.

If the keys are lost, I can open the hood and take the valet key that is kept in relay/fuse box Even if I can't do that, I can break front passenger window, take the ignition switch out and start the car with the screwdriver or whatever is in my pockets.

Who wants these old Volvos?..
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

You guys are giving me pause. The more I consider the insanity of that key pricing......the more I like the idea of just getting a couple metal keys cut, and scavenging my chip onto the car. I’m sure eBay or one of my local locksmiths will oblige.......

I’ll search around for the remote repair. That’s really what started this: I’d like to just push a button to open it! Embarrassing to admit this, but the cars I usually get just don’t have that option! 😂

Here's a post on Mathews how to DIY - https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...p?f=10&t=31639

And here's a post on Swedespeed with Tony's info (he repairs them) - https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...witchblade-key

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

Currently chatting with Tony on keys......sadly, he has retired from the biz.......but I may just attempt a repair/refurb!