Default Sell, Fix, Do timing belt?

Hi,

2007 with 212k miles. Trying to decide what to do with it. I use it as a mostly daily driver, Rain, snow days when I don't want to drive my nicer car etc. I use it for weekend round trips of 1k miles between my 2 houses. Wife is getting a new 2020 Outback and I am going to take her 2013 qwith 110k miles on it. That leaves me with an extra car. This car has been great and all the maintenance has been religiously done. PCV done at 170k, all new springs and struts front and rear at 170k, Top engine mount at 208k, lower front mount at 208k. Drain and fill Transmission fluid every 15k, Mobil 1 0w40 its entire life every 7.5k, burns about a quart between oil changes, shifts fine, everything is fully functional These are the outstanding issues:

• Timing belt is due for replacement. How long can I risk it? Last one done at 105k miles. Would do water pump and thermostat at the same time as well as pulleys for sure and then there is the question of whether any of the cam seals etc should be done as well. Seems like it could get to be a pretty pricey job pretty quickly.
    • I have a CEL for small leak detected. Can't figure it out, gas cap has been replaced, Leak detection pump done at 170k miles (2nd one). Seems like it might be bear to chase down.
    • I keep getting tire system service required on long trips. I am betting I have a bad sender in one of the wheels. I have replaced only one since new.

The car is in very good shape on both the exterior and interior. Less wear that you would expect for the mileage.

After all that....put the money into fixing it, trade it but they will ding me hard for the timing belt and CEL or sell it. I can't see how doing all the repairs will payoff if I go to sell it....Looking for any advice or perspective. It is a great car that I have no concerns driving 1000 miles at a time on my trips back and forth. I hate to let it go but I have too many cars. The other option is I keep it as a second car at my second house but then I till have to carry insurance etc....
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

First off, the dealer isnt going to ask about the timing belt or CEL because that car is going straight to the auction with that mileage.
    They'll offer you a black book wholesale price at best.......

Private party value (avg) is about $4k - Might be worth doing the TB (DIY to save money) and selling it privately - if trading it, I wouldnt do anything.

On my P2 XC70 (04), it developed the EVAP Small leak. If I filled the tank to the top of the filler pipe, it dripped gasoline. I had a pressurized smoke test done, and found a tiny crack in one of the plastic hose bibs that attaches to the fuel tank near the top. Using a plastic welding iron, and fuel tank material obtained from the junk yard, I was able to repair it enough to get rid of the CEL. I had already figured out how to pass smog test with the small leak (clear EVAP codes using my ODB-II scanner, and go into smog shop with full tank of gas -- the EVAP test sequence is only initiated when fuel level between 15% and 85%).

You can "condition" your '07 for a trade-in this same way. I couldn't bring myself to sell it privately with the fuel leak -- had to repair it. I sold mine with 120K miles, and excellent maintenance records for $5K. Glad I did...now in a 2015.5 XC70 T6 with 38K miles.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Thanks all. Looks like trade in us $1500 at best.

I will look at the timing belt and see how it looks. If it has obvious wear maybe I will try doing it myself. If no obvious wear I am going to just keep driving it and see how long it lasts. If I can take out the CEL by keeping the tank full I will do that to pass inspection.

Too bad it only makes sense to drive it until the motor blows up but it is just not worth much. Would rather have someone have it who wanted to fix it themselves.
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque

Thing or two 8pack.

Do you work on 2017 Maserati Ghibli - is there are DIY forum?

Our 2001 V70XC is reaching 200,000 miles -- exceptional AWD for its age and mileage due to our anticipatory lifestyle and care. The intermittent CEL is P0422, which goes away with ambient temp below 20ºF and above 80ºF. Someone suggested to spray CRC cleaner to see if RPM swings -- and help find the vacuum leak.

Post few pics for inspiration.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

P0422 is either a dying rear H2OS or dead cat.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by Xheart View Post
    Thing or two 8pack.

Do you work on 2017 Maserati Ghibli - is there are DIY forum?

Our 2001 V70XC is reaching 200,000 miles -- exceptional AWD for its age and mileage due to our anticipatory lifestyle and care. The intermittent CEL is P0422, which goes away with ambient temp below 20ºF and above 80ºF. Someone suggested to spray CRC cleaner to see if RPM swings -- and help find the vacuum leak.

Post few pics for inspiration.
    I have the shop manual for the Maserati. It is still under warranty and I pre-purchased the maintenance so I don't touch it. It is leased so it goes back in June. Great grand touring car, like it way better than the BMW and Merc. The twin turbo six is a ton of fun and the exhaust sound is great when you jump on it. Just feels faster. I wouldn't get it without the sport suspension button. It does a nice job of firming it up in the twisties. Lots of people complain that it has too many Chrysler components on the interior but I really don't care and wouldn't have known if someone didn't tell me. I am going to do the brakes myself as they are no brainer. Takes longer to get the wheel off than change the pads....Brembo