Default dirvers side- doors windows, locks, mirror

Helping my son out, 2008 XC70, Drivers side front and rear doors electronics are working. Doors will not lock, windows not working, mirror not working, lights in controls not lit.

thought it was loss of power, checked fuses, all good. pulled door panel and 12volt power to bottom of controls in drivers doors on 2 of 3 leads in one of the plugs.

passenger doors working fine at their own controls.

Would the drivers door window control unit being bad do this and control rear door also? I tried ordering the unit from Volvo on amazon but have they have not sent it and will not respond to emails. (ordered on the 7th, local dealer does not have one)

https://www.amazon.com/Volvo-Master-...9284772&sr=8-1

Things I think are odd, the lights in the panel are not working, and the lock control is not in the panel, this makes me think I have a power issue but since I found power in the door I should be fine?

any help would be appreciated!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicademus View Post
    2008 XC70, Drivers side front and rear doors electronics are working. Doors will not lock, windows not working, mirror not working,

Would the drivers door window control unit being bad do this and control rear door also? I tried ordering the unit from Volvo on amazon but have they have not sent it and will not respond to emails. (ordered on the 7th, local dealer does not have one)

help would be appreciated!
    Do you have a wiring diagram? Here is one that shows the drivers mirror, switch and control module. On the diagram the mirror is 6/62, window switch is 3/176 and DDM is 3/126. The little square wave symbol, the 'lin" text and what looks like a transistor in the 3/176 box means the signals are on a bus/network - impossible to measure signals with a volt/ohmeter and any switch actions are interpreted/controlled by the DDM (drivers door module). Most modules (not sure about a DDM in a 2008) require a software download (using a VIDA subscription)to make them work after replacement. Looking at a rear diagram, nothing looks tied to the front. Even the DDM fuse is not shared with the rear door module fuse. Those fuses are in the REM (in the back of the car, left side), fuse Da1 for the front, Da3 for the rear. (d fusebox, fuses #1 and 3)

I would not purchase a window switch as a guess - It probably won't fix it. As far as the dealer not having a switch in stock - probably because he never sells one.

If you've not worked on bus systems before you might want to start with Volvos diagnostic software (VIDA) to figure out what's really wrong. Bus problems can be very confusing and hard to diagnose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08 window mirror.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	9197

Thanks for the quick reply, yes the fuses in the rear are the ones that I checked.

I was going to check the wire loom in the door joint this weekend, see if I find a broken wire. I can also pull the panel again and try to trace the diagram, I don't have that VIDA(?) so really wont do much good if I cant track anything.

I was not going to change just a switch, bad term on my part, I was looking at the entire group with all the switches, it is about $103.00 is that the DDM? the part from the first post?

thanks

I was looking at the entire group with all the switches, it is about $103.00 is that the DDM?
    No - 3/176 is the switch assembly, not the DDM. You can throw a lot of parts at cars, that just tends to get you more frustrated when they don't fix your problem (and they are not returnable)

If you really want to try a switch, that same part may be used in many other 07+ Volvos (s80/08+v70/xc70) - if it is, source a much cheaper used one -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08 win sw.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	9198

Sorry just have not worked on these much, so the switch just sits on top of the ddm (drivers door module?) I thought that was all one unit. When I had the door off that I thought the switch and module were the only really replaceable electronic part I saw in there. Do you know the part # for the module? if I buy a use one (used) I then have to have a software tool to program it (VIDA)? If I put in the part and then take to dealer would they just do the programing part?

thank you so much for the help, sorry I am a newb on this.

I thought that was all one unit. When I had the door off that I thought the switch and module were the only really replaceable electronic part I saw in there.

Do you know the part # for the module?

if I buy a use one (used) I then have to have a software tool to program it (VIDA)?

If I put in the part and then take to dealer would they just do the programing part?
    Sorry, Ive not replaced a 08+ Ddm so i cant answer that, and don't have access to Vida for a few days to research it.

Unknown on the programming, but generally if a Volvo module needs programming to work you cannot reprogram a used module to a different car. - A company such as Xemodex can reprogram certain used items, you might check with them.

I wouldn't take a car to the dealer with a new module and have them program it. They won't be happy and you won't get good service from them.

Here is someone with a similar problem, sounds like he might have a broken wire inside the door. (have replaced many door and trunk harnesses for broken wires over the years, s60 trunk harnesses and 240 tailgate harnesses were the worst)

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=86049

For you to program any new module requires an account with Volvo, a DICE unit (~$700 from Volvo), compatible windows computer and a Vida subscription. Have not checked recently but Vida subscriptions used to be ~$200 for three days, something for a month and about $7000 for a year. It's usually not something individuals do ---
    Last edited by hoonk; 01-18-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Window switch and door modules are two different beasts.

Door switch

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...w2LWdhcw%3D%3D

Drivers door module

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...w2LWdhcw%3D%3D

With the issue on both left doors I would not start with a parts cannon. Checking the wiring in the door to body harnesses for broken wires is a good start. If you have power where you should do you have grounds where you should?

Do you have any fault messages or symbols on the console?

From your description, it seems like any function you try to do thru the Driver's Armrest Window Switch is unresponsive. But, the other Driver's side front and back door functions
    NOT ACCESSED thru this switch-bank are working (door locks, the rear door Window Switch). This points to the armrest Door Switch (including its wiring harness) likely being where the problem is.

You've done the logical thing to order a replacement Window Switch. If you can't obtain a new one, how about the online salvage sites?

When you get it, disconnect the battery before unplugging the harness -- the DDM is always "on" and you don't want to confuse it.

My experience with other Volvos is that the Window Switch is a passive switch assy -- it doesn't contain any software. Whereas, the DDM does.

Keep us in the loop -- good luck.
    Last edited by pbierre; 01-24-2020 at 06:51 AM.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan