Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Time for front struts...

Both of mine are shot. Any particular Quick-Strut folks are recommending? This for an '03 XC-70

Thanks,

Ultra

None.

Seriously.

Quick struts for this car generally all suck. They’ll fail quickly and on a $$/mile basis cost more than doing the rebuild with quality parts.

If you’re looking to limp this car through one more year and then dump it on some poor, unsuspecting person, then quick struts are for you, but I can’t support crappy parts repairs.

That said, FCP Euro just started offering a Sachs quick strut kit. Not cheap, but since Sachs built the OEM struts, that kit is worthwhile. It’ll cost more than the junk quick struts, but you, your wallet, and your car will be better off with a Sachs kit.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...t-sachs-033085

Might as well do lower control arms, balljoints, and tie rods while you’re at it. Your going to need an alignment when you’re done, and it’s better to do all the parts, with one alignment, than have to do control arms next year with another alignment, etc...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Thanks for the input on both threads Astro. It's a car I'd likely keep for a while, as it only has 68k on the odo and will remain my daily driver. I'll get a pair of Sachs. I'm still not sure this vehicle will be my full-time tow vehicle. And it likely makes sense to get something that can tow 5k or better, by design.

I installed the Sachs strut assemblies from IPD, same parts as FCP. They seem to have all OE parts, the strut mounts are marked "VOLVO". Fit and function is perfect. But, the new springs seem slightly shorter, perhaps 1/2" lower ride height than the original springs. I cannot gauge the spring rate.
    All in all I am fine with the purchase, and installation was quick and easy. Going on two years and no complaints.
    I also installed new control arms, ball joints, and sway bar links at the same time.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
    Both of mine are shot.
    What's wrong with them? Do they not dampen the motion of the car? Does one side bounce much more after going over a bump? Volvo struts and shocks can last the life of the car.

If they are noisy - it's usually not the strut, check your strut cushions.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    What's wrong with them? Do they not dampen the motion of the car? Does one side bounce much more after going over a bump? Volvo struts and shocks can last the life of the car.

If they are noisy - it's usually not the strut, check your strut cushions.
    Here are two pics of the top of the struts. Keep in mind, I picked up the car with 40k on the ODO, two years ago. Had a bit of work done before bringing it home, and the shop mentioned that one, or both, of the struts appeared to NOT be OEM, and may have been replaced with something other than OEM....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2118.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	9216

Name:	IMG_2119.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	9217

It's not your struts that are the problem, it's the spring seats. A common failure.

The first picture shows the bushing separated from the rubber, that one is gone, the second one might be OK for now, but likely is close to failure since the first one failed.

It's so common, that IPD has engineered their own solution:

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4712...24672-30683637

Alternatively, if you let the Volvo dealer do it, parts and labor come with a lifetime warranty - and you'll be back for that warranty on this part...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Name:	IMG_2118.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	9216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2119.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	9217
    I agree, that's a picture of two broken spring seats. I bet those are really noisy! One is really high (the gap) and the other is off center! If it were me (recommending repairs to a customer, as long as the struts still dampened the motion of the car< w/knee on bumper test) I would recommend just new strut cushions. Just purchase a quality (name or oem brand) The original part had thinner rubber, the IPD part mentioned is thicker and was standard on the heavier XC90.

With a spring compressor/air wrench and a lift, two strut cushions can be replace in less than an hour. (after doing a few)

If you want a quick test put a wrench on the top nut and turn - if it turns the cushion is broken. - and a new one will get rid of your noise, for a lot less than a new strut or strut assembly. If you are in an area subject to salt corrosion, make sure a spring is not broken also.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    ...Alternatively, if you let the Volvo dealer do it, parts and labor come with a lifetime warranty - and you'll be back for that warranty on this part...
    Yeah, Danbury, CT wants 65 bucks a piece for the parts and a nice 700 bucks for install. They better be warrantied for 10 lifetimes for that number!!

I'll go IPD and have someone put them in!

Geez, I'm in the wrong scam! ;-)

Yeah, Danbury, CT wants 65 bucks a piece for the parts and a nice 700 bucks for install.
    You can purchase the oem (sachs) strut cushion online for about $20. I used to charge 1.75 hours each to replace. So retail was was about $250 each (at $90 hour) - granted that was two years ago - but - if you could find someone to compress your springs (with a $50 harbor freight spring compressor), and however much time they wanted to charge - the total $ to eliminate/fix your noise/broken strut cushion could be reasonable. If your original strut cushions lasted this long - I would not spend any extra for the heavy duty (xc90) versions being sold by some vendors today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast