Default Soon to be New XC90 owner looking for advice

Hello to all! We're looking to buy our first XC90 (as our third is on the way, the 3rd row seat has become essential), and would appreciate any/all advice on what to look for in these cars. I've previously owned a 2007 XC70 (our first Volvo) and regretted having to sell it a few months ago. Unfortunately, it was just too cost prohibitive for a 2nd car to be shipped overseas as we returned to the US this November and we had to sell it. Now, I'm starting the search for a used 2006-2011 Volvo XC90 and would greatly appreciate knowing what major issues/pitfalls to look for.

There is a 2006 XC90 2.5T with 230,000 miles on sale near me that I found yesterday, listed at $4,750. I haven't driven the car yet, but it looks to be in very good shape outside and inside, with full leather and upgraded sound/dvd package (with the monitors in the headrests).

Some of the primary questions I have, especially since this is a very high mileage car, are:

1) Are there any major systems that need to be replaced by this point, such as timing belts, compressors, etc.?
    2) Common failure points to look for (aside from usual underbody rust for a Northeast car), such as leaking windows, wandering steering, start/stop hesitation?
    3) How does the XC90 hold up at the higher mileage range?
    4) Finally, is this 2006 XC90 at $4,750 a good deal, provided no mechanical issues present themselves during test drive?

Ideally, this is going to be our family car for the next 5-10 years (longer if possible), so I would like to buy a good long lasting car from the get go!

I welcome any/all advice from the cumulative experience on this forum!

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by vadmkat View Post
    We're looking to buy our first XC90 (as our third is on the way, the 3rd row seat has become essential),

There is a 2006 XC90 2.5T with 230,000 miles on sale near me that I found yesterday, listed at $4,750.

1) Are there any major systems that need to be replaced by this point, such as timing belts, compressors, etc.?

3) How does the XC90 hold up at the higher mileage range?

4) Finally, is this 2006 XC90 at $4,750 a good deal, provided no mechanical issues present themselves during test drive?

Ideally, this is going to be our family car for the next 5-10 years (longer if possible),

I welcome any/all advice from the cumulative experience on this forum!
    Ok - You want to purchase a Volvo with 230k miles on it, and you are hoping that it will be a reliable vehicle to put your 3 children in for the next 5-10 years.

1. Major systems failures - yes, Transmission, pcv, front suspension, ac compressor, heater fan motor, cooling system, the list goes on, (and on and on and those repairs are thousands of dollars) Why is the car for sale? what is the history of it, where is it in the world?

3. High mileage Volvos - It is very difficult to find someone willing to purchase a Volvo with 230,000 miles. Nobody wants them. And You can expect to spend much more than you dreamed possible to keep that car in good condition.

4. edmunds.com thinks https://www.edmunds.com/volvo/xc90/2...praisal-value/

That's a $1000-$2000 car. Kelly blue book thinks that way also. Why so little value? Because a transmission (known failure point) can cost $5000.

You don't know me but I owned and operated a Volvo Specialty Shop from 1980-2018. I had very few customers with over 200k on their cars. Usually the cars were simply worn out by that point and the owners (of the 1-$2000 cars) did not have repair work done at a retail car repair shop - probably because they could not afford it.

The only cars I saw with 230k miles still running that had very few repairs were Toyotas and Nissans.

So - I would not recommend any 14 year old high mileage Volvo to someone wanting to have their wife drive their children around reliably. You will not have that experience, and she will not be happy when it breaks down or requires serious $ to fix.

I agree with hoonk.
    However, a Bahraini (Manama?) car can surprise you with maintenance history. There will not be any rust, but fine dust particles, and extreme hot weather is against you. Tell us more about the specifications.

Meanwhile, use this checklist to get started https://www.volvoxc.com/wp-content/u...oChecklist.pdf
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

All,

Thank you for your good advice and opinions on this. Fortunately, while I was starting to dig into the status of the car, the owner sold it to someone else, preventing me from having to dig too deeply to decide if this was a worthwhile purchase. For the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for a 2006-2011 XC90 in the Washington, D.C. area. Thank you all again!

- Nick