Hello to all! We're looking to buy our first XC90 (as our third is on the way, the 3rd row seat has become essential), and would appreciate any/all advice on what to look for in these cars. I've previously owned a 2007 XC70 (our first Volvo) and regretted having to sell it a few months ago. Unfortunately, it was just too cost prohibitive for a 2nd car to be shipped overseas as we returned to the US this November and we had to sell it. Now, I'm starting the search for a used 2006-2011 Volvo XC90 and would greatly appreciate knowing what major issues/pitfalls to look for.

There is a 2006 XC90 2.5T with 230,000 miles on sale near me that I found yesterday, listed at $4,750. I haven't driven the car yet, but it looks to be in very good shape outside and inside, with full leather and upgraded sound/dvd package (with the monitors in the headrests).

Some of the primary questions I have, especially since this is a very high mileage car, are:

1) Are there any major systems that need to be replaced by this point, such as timing belts, compressors, etc.?
2) Common failure points to look for (aside from usual underbody rust for a Northeast car), such as leaking windows, wandering steering, start/stop hesitation?
3) How does the XC90 hold up at the higher mileage range?
4) Finally, is this 2006 XC90 at $4,750 a good deal, provided no mechanical issues present themselves during test drive?

Ideally, this is going to be our family car for the next 5-10 years (longer if possible), so I would like to buy a good long lasting car from the get go!

I welcome any/all advice from the cumulative experience on this forum!

- Nick