Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Window channel replacement on door?

Greetings,

For quite some time I have been having problems with the driver side front door window popping off the regulator. After replacing sliders, fixing bends on the regulator arms, etc, I finally think I found the root of the problems. The window itself seems to have a lot of forward-backward play in the channels on the door. This seems to cause the window to run up unevenly causing binding at times which causes the arms to pop out of the sliders.

Anyone else try replacing the window channels? Anyone order from www.volvowholesalepartdirect.com?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg,
    Hellertown, PA USA

Current ride: '04 XC70

Quote Originally Posted by Kragmeister View Post
    fixing bends on the regulator arms,
    I tried that 4 or 5 times to save a customer the cost of a new window regulator - EVERY ONE came back, and they were pissed that their window was broken again. They were even more pissed when they found out how much a new regulator was. (even with free labor the second time and I probably lost every one as a customer because I tried to save them the cost of a window regulator the first repair)

A properly installed (w/ steel rivets) new regulator fixed all of them, stopped the window from falling off/breaking the clips.
    Last edited by hoonk; 12-25-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    A properly installed (w/ steel rivets) new regulator fixed all of them, stopped the window from falling off/breaking the clips.
    Sorry to admit it, but you are most likely correct. I will probably have to go that route when the weather warms. The front slider popped again, but luckily I haven't broken another window. That did happen early last year, but I've been able to save it each time the arms pop out. I have the window closed tightly for the time being.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg,
    Hellertown, PA USA

Lightbulb

Update on my window situation. I did replace the regulator, but when I had everything out of the door I did see that, in fact, the run channel is shot. Toward the rear of the door, the bottom of the channel is disintegrating causing the back of the window to snag, causing the arms to pop and twist. Because of that, I have left the window disconnected from the new regulator and have it taped closed to prevent further damage. Just cannot go through drive-thru windows.

Now the question is the run channel. I seem to have sourced part #30779288, but some vendors say that it is only for the S60 while others say it is for S60 and XC70.

Also, never buy aftermarket sliding blocks online, even if they have a ton of good reviews. They are loose in the channel on the bottom of the window and the plastic is too soft. Just pay the $10 per slider from the dealer.

Later,
    Greg
    Last edited by Kragmeister; 02-16-2020 at 08:29 AM. Reason: additional info
    Greg,
    Hellertown, PA USA

Quote Originally Posted by Kragmeister View Post

Also, never buy aftermarket sliding blocks online, even if they have a ton of good reviews. They are loose in the channel on the bottom of the window and the plastic is too soft. Just pay the $10 per slider from the dealer.
    The Scan-Tech sliders I installed have been working fine for quite a few years (around 7-8 years or so) - though this thread is a reminder that is is probably time to grease the channels to keep them sliding well.

Following. I have to do this to my 04 V70 come warmer weather. Not having a driver's window is becoming a bit of a pain.

I just did this last weekend -- was driving home from a trip and rolled the window down while a suction-cup sunscreen was on the glass and the screen went partly down into the door with the window and the combined force / angle dislocated the window and as I ignorantly tried to right it, heard what turned out to be one then two clips break. Went to nearest dealer and they wanted $400 if it was just the clips and $930 for clips and regulator. Seems this dealer's new minimum charge for ANY work is $400 (two hours labor), including simple diagnostics, up from $165 just two years ago. When they looked at it they said the regulator was bent and so I was in for a $930 repair. Recently I paid $650 for a timing belt and will install a Colorado driveshaft tomorrow ($485+150 labor) and in comparison obviously balked at nearly a grand for the silly window. I bought a few clips and tried it myself.

Like in the FCP video (find it on the clip part page on the site), really need to use pliers to pop the round regulator stems into the clips, then put the metal pin back on the clip. I bent the regulator arm back to what I thought was the right angle and all seems well beyond nicely scratched forearms (the right clip is a bugger.)

I'm glad I bought the OEM clips ($7.75 each) at the dealer rather than what looks like really cheap ones from Amazon. And needless to say am happy I dodged the $925 cost ... for now.

I had planned to install new regulator arms, but when I saw how much work it was going to be I also took the approach of bending the arms back to what seemed like the right angle and returned the new regulator arm. 30K miles and 4 years later it is still working well.

Greetings,

The replacement window run channel finally showed up from Tasca. I ordered it in March, then the Wuhan Flu struck. Anyway, today I pulled the window out and the old run channel. I have a home made took for bicycle tire changing that I used to push new channel into the door. After all was said and done, the window runs up and down smoothly without hanging up. The regulator arms don't bend. Looks like I should be a happy camper...except for an electrical problem I'll be posting about separately.

Regards,
    Greg
    Greg,
    Hellertown, PA USA

I just want to say thanks for actually closing out this thread that you started months ago. I can't tell you how many times I've searched forums and been happy to find a thread with a similar issue only to find the thread petered out with no resolution reported by the OP. Effin' annoying.

Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast