Default Help!!! I’m stuck and I can’t get out!!!

08 XC70 w/180k recently replaced serpentine belt, engine mount and various suspension issues fixed. When picking up wife’s 05 xc70 from mechanic I tried to get out, but when I pumped the door lever the drivers door wouldn’t open. Three other doors unlocked, but drivers door would not. Door lock “knob” comes up, but does not fully extend. Forced to climb over console and exit via passenger compartment. Any ideas?
    Happy Holidays!!

Does the outside handle open the driver's door? Do the key fob (radio control) functions still work to lock / unlock? Physical key works? This could be as simple as the mechanical linkage has been lost between the inside handle and the door lock module. Test all the functions for opening the door and locking / unlocking, mechanical and electronic.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    Does the outside handle open the driver's door? Do the key fob (radio control) functions still work to lock / unlock? Physical key works? This could be as simple as the mechanical linkage has been lost between the inside handle and the door lock module. Test all the functions for opening the door and locking / unlocking, mechanical and electronic.
    Attempted with fob, key in lock and lock/unlock switch on door. Door will not unlock so will not open. All doors beside the drivers will lock/unlock using switch and fob. Wondering how to work on the lock mechanism if I can’t open the door.

Quote Originally Posted by drewmun247 View Post
    Door will not unlock so will not open. Wondering how to work on the lock mechanism if I can’t open the door.
    If the door wont open from either the inside or the outside -

You might be able to get to the lock/latch mechanism after you get the outside door handle off. The first step to remove/replace almost anything inside the door (except for the glass) is to remove the outside door handle and it is released from inside the door jamb- the plastic plug covering the access hole is visible with the back door open. (behind the top hinge) I would suggest finding some good instructions first as it's not a logical process, but fairly simple once you understand how it all works together. Has that door been apart before, for body work or replacement window glass?

You might try taking the passenger door apart first so you are familiar with how it is assembled.

Does the driver's motorized sideview mirror still work? This will determine if the Drivers Door Module (DDM) is powered and operating. If not, check the cargo area fuse bank, the uppermost bank, fuse #1 (DDM power).

If the DDM shows signs of life, your next move would likely be to remove the inner door panel. I've never seen this done with the door closed, not sure if there are interferences.
    Another tack would be to lower the window, and go down in there with an endoscope to inspect the wiring.

Have you tried pressing the door inward while firing the fob to unlock the door? It could be a latch misalignment.

A blown DDM fuse would be a lucky break. You might contact a car locksmith to see if there is an override trick to pull back the latch and get the door open.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Could the door be opened with a “Slim Jim”?

Have you tried to unlock with the mechanical key? Pulling the knob up with pliers or similar and trying to open the door?

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    your next move would likely be to remove the inner door panel.
    It can be done, the door panel gets damaged in the process - but on a 2008+ all that is visible after that is the inner handle/cable. Check the pictures in VIDA, all the door insides are attached to a flat plate that comes off as one piece, the only access holes in that panel are to release the glass from the regulator and a small hole the inner cable goes through. And that plate does not come out (after removing the glass) without removal of the outer door handle (unless you break several things inside the door)

Mechanic ended up pulling “knob” up with pliers. Replaced locking mechanism that had rusted out. ThNks for the help