Default Replacing voltage regulator on XC70 2007

Hi All,

I believe that replacing the voltage regulator on my 2007 xc70 will solve the charging issue I'm having. As now when I accelerate the charging go up to 14V and when it's idle it can go down to 11V .
    I saw that in older Volvos people were able to replace the regulator without taking out the alternator .
    But in all links I was able to find they mentioning that in newer models than 2004 the regulator may be part of the alternator and you need to take all apart.
    Could someone please assist / advice on howto replace the regulator on 2007 and if I can do that without removing the alternator from the car
    Thank you
    Kal
    Older xc70 example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hitrick View Post
    I believe that replacing the voltage regulator on my 2007 xc70 will solve the charging issue I'm having.

As now when I accelerate the charging go up to 14V and when it's idle it can go down to 11V .

I saw that in older Volvos people were able to replace the regulator without taking out the alternator .

Could someone please assist / advice on howto replace the regulator on 2007 and if I can do that without removing the alternator from the car
    "charging issue that you are having" - Is the battery not staying charged? Voltage will fluctuate, and can be ~11 volts idling with accessories on.

You can replace the regulator with the alternator mounted - you just have to move the intake manifold out of the way. So if you are replacing your PCV system - that would be a good time. Not recommended to move the manifold unless you really have to - it's easy to damage the pcv hose that attaches to the bottom of the front right corner of the manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    "charging issue that you are having" - Is the battery not staying charged? Voltage will fluctuate, and can be ~11 volts idling with accessories on.

You can replace the regulator with the alternator mounted - you just have to move the intake manifold out of the way. So if you are replacing your PCV system - that would be a good time. Not recommended to move the manifold unless you really have to - it's easy to damage the pcv hose that attaches to the bottom of the front right corner of the manifold.
    Thank you so much for the quick answer . It happens mostly when cold (-5C or lower ) and even the air blower work faster when I press the gas pedal , I think the high light too .
    I connected to the cigarette lighter socket a voltage reader and I saw each time I'm accelerating V getting higher , it's same as having a dynamo and not an alternator that should keep the voltage more or less same regardless of the gas peddle.

I will much appreciate any advice.

Thank you

@ 20 degrees (F) you will have all sorts of high current devices on, rear defrost, heater fan, and all lights/headlamps in Canada - with those on the voltage @ 750 rpm will not be the same as at 1200rpm

How old is the battery? Perhaps have a load test done on it.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000