Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ETM fuse keeps blowing

Any ideas as to why the ETM fuse keeps blowing?

It blew twice within a few weeks of a timing belt job, then twice today. Now runs terribly after replacing it (and power brakes are gone, but that could be from loss of vacuum from sputtering engine).

Got a "service engine system -urgent" message, but no code.

Thanks!

2001 v70xc
    205K miles

Looks like fuse #7 in the b fusebox goes to the throttle module - you have a 2001 - how old is the throttle?

If the fuse keeps blowing either the wiring to the throttle is damaged and grounding out sometimes or the throttle unit is bad.

Xemodex may offer some diagnostic help here

https://xemodex.com/us/knowledgebase...ic-flow-chart/

Thanks. That is a great resource.
    Gotta check again for codes later.

Throttle body replaced some years ago under previous owner. Hopefully that didn't go bad on me.

Found a p1021 code, which points me to a bad ETM on the Xemodex flow chart.

This might make sense since I was already having an occasional problem with the car bucking under hard acceleration. Been meaning to check/clean the ETM and the plugs as a result. I guess I will do that and inspect the wiring in case I can get lucky before spending the money to repair the ETM.

Anything other suggestions?

Thanks hoonk.

gary

Since its 01, probably eventually need to rebuild TPS on the ETM if close to 100k miles on it. Google "Sacer SA300 ETM". Can do this repair yourself for the cost of the part (~$100) However, since you are blowing fuses, maybe ETM electronics are bad, never heard of failing TPS can blow fuses.

Used ETM will also work without any reprogramming (FirstVolvo got few used when he did his own TPS replacement and gave me the recipe) So you might just get a cheap used one from a junk yard and rebuild the TPS on that.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Thanks Howard.
    I looked in the receipts folder and the ETM recall was done on this car 12 years and 130,000 miles ago. (205,000 miles now)

I have a similar car that I was trying to decide if I should use for parts or sell for cheap as a local runner. If I take that ETM out, it will plug and play in this car without reprogramming?

Quote Originally Posted by gary g View Post
    If I take that ETM out, it will plug and play in this car without reprogramming?
    That was FirstVolvo's experience. He picked up a few from junkyard while experimenting with TPS replacement. You might PM him to get the stat.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by gary g View Post
    If I take that ETM out, it will plug and play in this car without reprogramming?
    Generally - No - but I never tried a used ETM (tried other used modules, that would not work)

Again - Xemodex is a good resource for module information - they might be able to reprogram a used unit you have.

If your similar running car would sell for more than $500, and you plan to drive the other one a while longer - I would take that $500 and put it toward an ETM (if it needs one) from Xemodex. (that will last a long time) -

"He picked up a few from junkyard while experimenting with TPS replacement" Have you tried replacing one yet? I would not want to "try a few"

Finally had a chance to get back to the car. Swapped out the ETM with a good one and it will run but barely. (ETM came from same model, same year. No reprogramming needed). Also swapped the MAF because that's an easy one. No joy.

So here's the summary:
    ETM fuse blew after a timing belt this summer. No problems for a month and then same fuse blew a few more times over two weeks. Fuse stopped blowing but car suddenly ran terribly- stumbling and undriveable. Swapped ETM -no change. Swapped MAF -no change. No codes. Dont have VIDA.

Could the repeated blowing of the fuse have damaged something else?
    The car will start right up and run fine for about 4 seconds.

Any other suggestions?

thank you!

2001 v70xc

I don't have experience diagnosing ETM issues. If that ETM fuse was blowing, then I guess the ETM electronics were calling for/drawing way too much current. Maybe check all the wiring/connections pertaining to the ETM? Maybe check/clean the ground connections in the engine bay? Does the fuse for the ETM also monitor other components? Check your owner's manual.

I've read that if you think your MAF is acting up and causing poor idle, you can try unplugging the MAF electrical connector and if you get a steady idle, then the MAF is suspect.

If you think your problems are related to a timing belt change, then you gotta check your work. Supposedly, if the new belt is one tooth off you should get a code after some driving.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to do a VIDA scan. A DICE setup is about $100 and there is a learning curve but plenty of info on the web.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast