Thread: Tire Advice

Default Tire Advice

Good Morning Everyone,

Our 2013 XC70 AWD 3.2 is in need of tire replacement. Will be driving up to western NY for holiday this year and want a all season tire at the least. Our other vehicles have always been a SUV or truck, and have always used BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A on those larger vehicles. Love the tire both look and performance.

Tire size for the Volvo is 215 65 16, and they make a BF Goodrich all terrain in this size. My question is can I put this tire on my XC70 without negative effects? Any advice or information you could share would be greatly appreciated. Safe Travels.
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

Use the tire size finders online. An all-terrain, all-weather tire sounds like the right way to go.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

pbierre thanks for the reply. When I use the tire size finder on the tire website, they do NOT list the BFG All terrain for my XC70, even though the tire comes in that size.

The BFG All Terrain has a different load index and speed rating(103/100S) than the recommended tires (98H), that is the only difference in size. I used the online chat on the tire site and asked if I could install the BFG AT without harm and this was the chatbots response:

Harvey at 14:43, Nov 19:
    It's an all terrain tire, so it will not ride as smooth or quiet as a road only tire.

The dry/wet traction of a road only tire is also better than an all terrain tire

Other than that it will not negatively effect the vehicle. Now I just need to decide if I want to compromise the smooth ride, dry/wet traction of the Volvo, for the benefits I think I will get from the BFG AT (nice aggressive look, snow capability).

Has anyone else installed BFG AT's on their XC70? If so comments or pics?
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

One consideration is the impact of tire selection on gas mileage. Putting an SUV or truck tire on your XC70 adds undesired weight and rotational inertia, and shows up in fewer miles per tank of fuel. I would consider a lighter weight all weather tire. Your odds of driving in a snowstorm are very low.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Default I did it

Well the day has come, XC70 needed tires...........and I know it compromised the miles per gallon, and I know it increased driving noise (not that much) but I had to do it. Put BFGOODIES All Terrain T/A KO2s on her. pbierre thank you for the responses, I did debate for some time. The manager at the tire place was a bit dumbfounded at my choice and did make sure I knew what I was choosing, but by pick up time even he admitted it looked quite bad a$$. The pictures do not do it justice. Hope all is well for everyone out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1930.jpg   IMG_1932.jpg   IMG_1931.jpg   IMG_1934.jpg   IMG_1933.jpg  

2013 XC70 AWD 3.2