Thread: Vibration

Default Vibration

Hello,

I'm experiencing a 25-50mph driveline vibration, worst at 35mph. It happened over a 7 hour round-trip, I didn't notice anything until we were off the highway. It hasn't gotten any worse since then.
    I can feel a vibration through the gas pedal, and can hear it faintly. It's a pulsating vibration, and doesn't seem to correspond to acceleration/deceleration, turning, etc. The pulsation does speed up with vehicle speed.
    I've been assuming for now that it's a driveline vibration. I checked the angle gear for oil and it's full. Turning does not make it better/worse, so I doubt it is angle gear or wheel bearings. I'm thinking either a front axle bearing or the drive shaft.

The driver's side axle has quite a lot of lateral play where it comes out of the transmission, is this normal? I would say around half an inch.
    The passenger side axle felt fine to me, no play.
    The driveshaft doesn't seem to have play either. Could I simply unbolt the driveshaft at the transmission and diff without removing it to test it, or would it clunk around?

Thanks for any help.

Bad axles do normally shake/vibrate only during acceleration.

Any chance you got some sticky mud or snow on your rims?
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Also it is not uncommon to loose weights or to turn tire on rim if underinflated.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

The wheels are clean. Tires were mounted a few weeks ago, I can check the weights but it doesn't feel like a normal wheel balancing issue. No shaking steering wheel, high speeds it goes away, and vibration can be felt through the gas pedal when it's happening at 35-45mph.

I got under the car a couple of weeks ago and noticed the driver's side axle has play at the transmission output shaft. The CV "cup" part can wiggle around, so the transmission side has some play. How much would be considered excessive? I probably have 2mm of play.

Quote Originally Posted by weste46 View Post
    I got under the car a couple of weeks ago and noticed the driver's side axle has play at the transmission output shaft. The CV "cup" part can wiggle around, so the transmission side has some play. How much would be considered excessive? I probably have 2mm of play.
    This is fine ("fine"). The splines on the axle and in the differential do wear, so the axle develops some play over time.

Also the differential grinds through the casting, it needs reshimming, which unfortunately can be carried out only with transmission taken out and split in halves.

My car has a lot of play in the differential, but no vibrations.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

I'm still having this vibration. It still doesn't follow anything but speed. No louder when turning one way like a wheel bearing, or when accelerating like a CV. It's really bugging me. I think my next move might have to be removing the driveshaft and driving FWD, but it's winter now and I may need the AWD.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else it could be?

I went to replace my wheel bearing over the weekend and instead found axial play in the outer joint of my driver's side axle (the side that is making noise.) I don't have any clicking, but I can feel play in the axle, and no play in the wheel bearing. The noise comes and goes, I can't decide which one to replace. I can still return the wheel bearing if I replace the axle and find that it's the problem, so I think I may do that first (local axle rebuilder has one in stock for $80.)

My issue isn't an unbalanced wheel, I rotated the wheels and found no change. The issue is now slightly present at highway speeds, but still isn't very similar to the common sounds I associate with a wheel bearing.

I will update when I solve my issue...

If you’ve got play in that outer CV joint, then the axle is worn out. It’s the source, or very likely the source, of your vibration.

Don’t go with rebuilt axles. They all suck and will vibrate from day one. You’ll end up replacing it over and over.

Get a GKN axle, new, European-made. FCP Euro or Pelican parts carry them.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Woops, I never updated. It was indeed the wheel bearing. Axle is likely also needing replaced, but wheel bearing was the source of the vibration I was trying to correct. It was an odd noise, not a normal wheel bearing noise.