Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    "yet"? Hope never would it ever get to that!
    Me too, but one never knows, (and one won't know anymore if it happend )
    Just kidding, you are right, it isn't something you want to be confronted with.
    My partner and I are volunteers in a care home for demented persons, we are
    familiar with Altzheimers and other causes of dementia. What we have learned
    is that demented persons are still humans, and sometimes surprizingly more
    so than one would think. Nevertheless, dementia is very dramatic disorder.
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Me too, but one never knows, (and one won't know anymore if it happend )
    Just kidding, you are right, it isn't something you want to be confronted with.
    My partner and I are volunteers in a care home for demented persons, we are
    familiar with Altzheimers and other causes of dementia. What we have learned
    is that demented persons are still humans, and sometimes surprizingly more
    so than one would think. Nevertheless, dementia is very dramatic disorder.
    With modern technology, we don't tend to even try to remember things, like phone numbers. Why should I train
    my brain for remember something, if, the electronic device will do that for me. Modern electronic device doesn't help.
    I could really be annoying. While doing the work in the XC, about three times, I was looking for something I knew I
    had with me a few minutes earlier. One I found right in front of me, on top of the plastic grill of the car. I remember
    going into the house, came back to the garage to continue what I was doing. I stopped and wondered what exactly
    was I doing? The other one is, I use the Notes Pad in my phone to put notes of all errands. Such is life!
    Last edited by Oka; 11-22-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Can the integrity of the Camshaft and Crankshaft Position Sensors be checked with VIDA?
    If yes, would you know how?

Also, it looks like this car does not have a Fuel Pump Relay, right?
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

Also, it looks like this car does not have a Fuel Pump Relay, right?
    Yes there is (on a 2001)- see post 28, it's on the CEM

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Yes there is (on a 2001)- see post 28, it's on the CEM
    I asked so as to find where the ECM is located; just found it. I went to the parts store and most of them show a fuel pump relay does not exist for the model.

Since afternoon, I have been collecting information of things to check on the car when I pull it into the garage to work on.
    I also plan on checking/testing the integrity of the fuel pump relay, vacuum lines and many other thing I may find in my readings.
    I have lots of reading to do; I really need to find out what's wrong with this car. Will also will be re-reading all the replies on my posts.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Oka; 11-23-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    There is only an intank pump on this model, you can hear it with a stethoscope touching the top of it. Most 940's had a fuel pump mounted under the drivers seat you could easily hear as well as an intank pump.

There is a fuel pump relay in a 01 xc70 however, located on the CEM - 2/23 on the attached picture
    Attachment 9163
    It should be located in the cabin (dark grey item on bottom row):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump relay.jpg  
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    It should be located in the cabin (dark grey item on bottom row):
    In my last post, I had mentioned "just found it". Thank you for the showing me the location!

One thing I was searching for also, is how to test the integrity of the ECM. I kept finding the removal and installation.
    How would one know if it's defective some how?

Interesting you brought up PEM. Just saw one at the car parts on line. It's pricey. Is there a way to test the integrity of the one in my car before looking into replacing it? One thing though, how come VIDA does NOT show a "PEM" in the list of modules if the car should have one?

Saw a post for a 2007 XC70 about not having a Fuel Pressure Sensor that relates having a relay on the CEM (instead of Pump Electronic Module [PEM]):
    In our Aussie market we may not have PEM due to emission laws and other variations. If you have a fuel pressure sensor fitted to the fuel rail then you have a PEM otherwise the relay is on the CEM above the steering column.

Maybe the absence of a FPS in my 2001 XC70 means I don't have a PEM but a Fuel Pressure Relay on the CEM under the dash by the steering colume.
    Last edited by Oka; 12-08-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Maybe the absence of a FPS in my 2001 XC70 means I don't have a PEM
    That's correct, there's not a fuel pump control unit on cars without a fuel pressure sensor on the injector rail.

BTW the fuel pump control unit varies the speed of the pump on those cars, where a 2001 pump runs at full speed all the time and power can be tested at the pump with a simple test light.

I missed that you found the fuel pump relay, my mistake (again).
    The electrics of the XC70 have been redesigned at some point, perhaps for MY2005.
    So it could be misleading to associate something you read about MY2007 to MY2001.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast