Default I have a ton of service/error messages. Will it affect 4 wheel drive? Gas leak too!

Wow...what a depressing reply. I have 5k into the car. If I have to spend a few hundred to get it working, I will do it.
    BTW...you need to find a new place for parts.
    A fuel pump at rockauto is under 200$.
    Most sensors are 50-60$.
    Last edited by capnjim; 11-08-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Edmunds.com says an average 06 xc70 with 170,000 miles is worth ------------------ $797!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dealer retail is about $1500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (A perfect car (a unicorn) is worth $2000)

With that list of messages you posted, you are looking at a few thousand dollars to fix. You could Scan the car for DEM codes (AWD module) but with that mileage I can almost guarantee it does not work.

My advice, Sell or trade it for what ever you can get BEFORE spending any more money on it.

If you don't you will spend every penny you have TRYING to make a worn out Volvo a nice car.

And don't listen to your brother, in fact ask him to buy it from you!

Gas smell=fuel pump $800 or worse case a cracked fitting on the plastic gas tank, requiring a new gas tank.
    Abs/antiskid= possible control unit $800
    check engine light= ?
    AWD repairs= $1000+
    All the other worn out stuff on it = $$$$$$

Volvo's are not like Toyos, they are difficult and very expensive to fix. A lot of repairs are above the skill level of the average Do it yourselfer.

Get rid of it and buy the Toyo while you still have a chance!

Too many codes. Strong gas smell.
    How does the 4x4 work? Is it related to the anti skid/abs maintenance?
    I don't care about anti spin or skid or even ABS, but I really need 4 wheel drive.

The first rule of maintenance on a Volvo is to address and resolve every code when it first appears. If these codes are allowed to stack up, the hole just gets too deep to dig out of. The fuel smell is a major problem....search Volvo recall #220 (cracked fuel pump flange). If not that, likely a hairline crack in fuel tank plastic weld -- a fuel tank costs $4K to replace on this AWD car. The car won't pass smog in Canada with that fuel leak. These are signs it's time to move on. Letting go of what you already spent has a special name in finance -- it's called "sunk costs". If you cling to them, they'll sink you.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Holy crap...you guys are either really really gullible or just plain dumb. 4k for fuel tank??? 800$ for a fuel pump???
    Even my local Volvo dealer has new tanks installed for 1500$. Fuel pump I can do myself and its 150$
    Maybe you guys should think about getting new Kia's so you don't get ripped off so much.

Anyways, I thought this forum might have had a few DIY kind of guys. Not lamos who run to the dealer with bags of cash for every problem.
    I will seek advice elsewhere.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by capnjim View Post
    Anyways, I thought this forum might have had a few DIY kind of guys. Not lamos who run to the dealer with bags of cash for every problem.
    Cheers
    Please do
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I'm just a little surprised that nobody knows whether or not the 4 wheel drive is related to the skid/spin control. I didn't think it was that hard a question.
    Oh well....I'll try to find a better forum.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by capnjim View Post
    Cheers
    As a DIY guy, who’s written guides* on how to fix this car, let me say this:

You wrote an unclear post. I couldn’t figure out what problem you were describing.

You want my help? You want my time and effort?

Then do me the courtesy of putting enough of your own effort into the post to make it clear.

You ask for help. Then criticize and publicly complain?

If I was going to help you, I sure won’t now.

A professional Volvo mechanic (Hoonk) gave you his opinion.

Still not good enough for you.

You won’t find a more experienced voice anywhere else.

You’ve added nothing in your time here. Contributed nothing.

Your loss won’t be felt. Won’t be noticed.

*For example: https://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showt...d-modification

https://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/...ment-Notes.pdf
    Last edited by Astro14; 11-09-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)