Default Immobilizer See Manual

Intermittently, sometimes, I will get this error "IMMOBILIZER SEE MANUAL"
    and the car won't start. Where do I start trouble shooting.

I have both the OEM security system active and the third party remote starter
    security system active also.

Thanks.
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

I don't know if this is related, but I once got that message when I tried to start the car while the key wasn't fully "snapped out" from the key fob (i.e. when the key was in the ignition, the fob was pointed downwards), so maybe the immobilizer isn't detecting the key properly?

Also, a while ago I was having some electrical issues in my car that was eventually traced back to a failing relay, but one of the symptoms of the problem is that the car would refuse to start, as if it had been immobilized. During my research (before finding this forum), I came across someone who said that locking and unlocking the car 5 times with the fob would release the immobilizer. I only got the chance to try it once and it seemed to work, but I can't be positive because it had also been sitting for a couple hours which had been what I would do to fix it before that point, and then a few days after that incident the problem was resolved. Long story short, YMMV with that "5 Locks and Unlocks" trick.

Quote Originally Posted by jman474 View Post
    I don't know if this is related, but I once got that message when I tried to start the car while the key wasn't fully "snapped out" from the key fob (i.e. when the key was in the ignition, the fob was pointed downwards), so maybe the immobilizer isn't detecting the key properly?

Also, a while ago I was having some electrical issues in my car that was eventually traced back to a failing relay, but one of the symptoms of the problem is that the car would refuse to start, as if it had been immobilized. During my research (before finding this forum), I came across someone who said that locking and unlocking the car 5 times with the fob would release the immobilizer. I only got the chance to try it once and it seemed to work, but I can't be positive because it had also been sitting for a couple hours which had been what I would do to fix it before that point, and then a few days after that incident the problem was resolved. Long story short, YMMV with that "5 Locks and Unlocks" trick.
    Thank you for your reply.
    The "5 Locks and Unlocks" is there somewhere.
    https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/volvo-...zer-see-manual
    I will try the trick when I get home tonight.
    Last edited by Oka; 11-01-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    I will try the trick when I get home tonight.
    I did try it some five hours ago. It started but with some hesitation. Now, it's back to how it used to be.
    The remote starter won't start it. The Immobilizer See Manual did not come up yet.
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    The remote starter won't start it.
    Does the engine spin over when it "won't start"?

I trust you have some sort of Aftermarket remote starting system. How does that system tell the CEM there is a key present? The transponder in a key transfers a signal through the antenna ring that is installed around the ignition lock (where you put the key in), and allows the starter to work.

I have heard of others taping a programmed key under the steering column (under the plastic cover) near the antenna ring to be able to use a non programmed key to start their car.

If your aftermarket remote starting system does not spin the engine over - you could try something like that to see if the Aftermarket system is having problems emulating a key present signal (however that is being done).