Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ghost Code = Service Engine Soon

The Service Engine Soon is displayed in the info display, the red triangle is lit and I forget what the right display reads but there's something there. We've had this for well over 10 years. I read codes and there are none present. I take it to annual emissions and it passes, also with MIL illuminated and my buddy tells me there's no codes.

Well this isn't a big deal and the car runs perfectly. The only problem is trying to explain this to any potential buyer - trying to seal the car and it ain't going to happen with this blasted ghost code....

Any ideals?

About 5 years ago while on vacation there was a big Volvo dealer next to the place I was renting a Harley from. We left the car with them to try to figure out, I made specific request to have their most experienced Tech look at the car, they introduced him to me and older fellow like myself, I explained what had been going on and he said he'd see if he could figure it out. Next day when I returned the bike and went to pick up car the Tech told me he tried everything in his knowledge base and pulled a few other Techs in to see what they thought... No ideas. WTF!!!

Help appreciated.
    "01" XC70, Polar Blue Metallic, Oak Leather, no 3rd seat, wife's ride.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

The first principle of console alerts is to write down the exact words displayed. The you can Google it verbatim with "Volvo" and it will lead to clues. You can post questions on all the Volvo repair sites.

The 2nd principle is the console messages are often too vague to be actionable. But, if the car is hooked up to a VIDA software, there is almost always more detailed underlying info. The Volvo dealer should have given you a printout of any modules that were holding a DTC. Your buddy likely couldn't detect any codes because his scanner device doesn't poll all the modules....VIDA does. You might consider going back to the Volvo dealer, and explaining that the job they did was incomplete by not providing you with a list of any module codes. Ask for them to repeat the scan and make a printout. Or, look for an indie Volvo shop that offers a complimetary VIDA scan.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

In PA a car can pass inspection with the MIL/CEL on? Maybe whatever is causing the light to trigger isn't emissions related?

With VIDA, you can usually read the codes, CLEAR them, and the light goes out. Granted, it may immediately come on again after you start the engine, but then there should be a code stored which you can read. Is this what happened at the Volvo dealership?

Strange situation that the CEL can be lit but there are no codes stored. Usually the procedure is to clear the codes in VIDA, this turns off the CEL, and then you wait to see if the CEL comes on again. When it does, you hook up Vida and troubleshoot the code stored.

If you're getting a CEL with no code stored, is there a problem with the CEL function itself? You may have to invest in a VIDA/Dice setup to figure this out.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
    The Service Engine Soon is displayed, the red triangle is lit. We've had this for well over 10 years.
    Any ideals?
    You might have a malfunctioning DIM - instrument cluster. You could try chatting with Xemodex and see if your symptoms are something they have seen before.

Who, exactly, is saying that this is a ghost?

Buddy?

Dealer?

What did dealer do to try and clear it?

Nothing?

A 2001 DIM might well be the culprit. My 2002s have BOTH had the DIM rebuilt by Xemodex.

Perhaps yours is due.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I am saying ghost because it's there but not able to read. Anyway, I made appointment with Local Volvo Dealer for (allegedly) a "Complementary Diagnostics", which on the "Volvo" website states: "We'll connect your Volvo to our computerized diagnostics system, perform a preliminary diagnostics - and provide a written estimate of what's needed - at no charge and without any outside commitments."
    We'll see how this goes...
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    You might consider going back to the Volvo dealer, and explaining that the job they did was incomplete by not providing you with a list of any module codes.
    Thanks for reply, but the Volvo Dealer I took car to "while on vacation" (Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire) and "about 5 years ago" is not an option. See my reply above.

Thanks to all for suggestions. Where I'm at right now is wanting to sell this awesome car and with a "ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" and "Red triangle with exclamation point" prominently displayed when you start the car make selling it a "show stopper". I wouldn't consider buying anything with such a display, would you?

Thanks again.

Update: Took to Volvo to have codes read, only thing stored was "ECM 9400 Fault Code, Faulty Brake Pedal Position Sensor?
    OMG, that's it!??? For years Ive been dealing with this blasted nuisance... live and learn.

OK so now here a question, or two..., for those whom are familiar with these cars:
    1- is this "brake pedal position sensor" one of those that must be "programmed" to the car?
    2-a). if not good
    2-b). if must be programmed - I've read on this site and others that some (if not most) modules, sensors, etc. if acquired from a salvage yard "from" same year & model that they don't require programming.
    3-might seem like a silly question but, where this sensor located (a diagram would be appreciated) and is it easy to access. I'm guessing best bet (as with almost everything else) is to disconnect the battery before doing "anything".

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.

I asked FCP in an email and they just got back to me = this sensor does not need to be programmed. Yippee.
    Ordered correct part (PN 9441116, confirmed PN by FCP based on my VIN) from Rock Auto, tax & delivery $58.07, should arrive mid-next week.
    Thanks all.

Having read a long article about the Bosch Motronix Engine Control System, the Brake Pedal Position Sensor is one of dozens of inputs to the ECM algorithm (representing driver intention to decelerate). Disconnect the battery while doing your sensor swap.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast