Question 2010 2011 2012 2013 XC60 low beam bulb or wiring failed. Help!

2010 Volvo XC60 T6 The left low beam headlight recently failed. I installed a new bulb (Sylvania halogen H9) and it still does not work. Both old and new bulbs look good. There is no fuse listed in the owner's manual for the low beam, just the high beam HID, which option this car does not have. Also, the high beam bulb connector was all burned up from melting (H11 bulb), yet it still works!

So, how can I test the connector for power on the low beam, and which fuse should I inspect? Also, where can I get a high beam connector to hook onto the high beam bulb? Could the problem be in the wiring of the headlamp assembly (Valeo p/n 31395470)? If so, how can I test that? To buy a new assembly is $260 and up! Thank you in advance from a new member, but 45 year Volvo owner.

Quote Originally Posted by SamKnows View Post
    2010 Volvo XC60 T6 The left low beam headlight recently failed. I installed a new bulb (Sylvania halogen H9)

There is no fuse listed in the owner's manual for the low beam,

just the high beam HID, which option this car does not have.

Also, the high beam bulb connector was all burned up from melting (H11 bulb), yet it still works!

So, how can I test the connector for power on the low beam, and which fuse should I inspect?

Also, where can I get a high beam connector to hook onto the high beam bulb?
    Welcome, hopefully this forum can help!

Let's start with the basics. The low beams are the outside bulbs. (the H-11's). The H-9 is the high beam.

There does not appear to be a fuse for low beams (on the factory wiring diagram), on some other Volvo's they are fused left and right. That means there is a "circuit breaker" built into the CEM. Sometimes if there is a short the CEM will turn power off to a circuit. It may come back on by itself, or you could try disconnecting the battery and holding the terminals together for a minute - or it might take scanning the car with a compatible scan tool and resetting the codes to restore power to that circuit.

If the car has HID's the high and low beam are the same bulb. (In place of the H11) The bulb changes position (or there is a shutter that moves) to project the beam further.

Melted H11 connectors are common, I always used the expensive Volvo Brand replacement connector, (the aftermarket ones seem to melt quickly) with a new bulb, 31299732 is the part number for the connector.

Maybe the connectors melt because they are on all the time, on my personal cars I use VIDA to change the headlamps to only come on with the light switch.

With an inexpensive volt-ohm-meter, you can debug most (halogen) headlight glitches. First, remove the lo-beam bulb and test it for continuity - a good bulb will elicit a beep. Next, test the harness wire pair (bulb out) for volts -- should be around 13V dc when the lo-beam on the other side is lit. If close to 0 volts, you next want to test the ground wire for continuity. Lights off, measuring ohms, one of the two wires should have a solid connection to ground (any bare metal bolt head on engine), a reading of 1 ohm or less. If higher ohms, you have a weak connection to ground on that wire. If that reading is < 1 ohm, by process of elimination, you have a discontinuity on the 12V wire. For any wire discontinuity, look for a crack in the wire jacketing. The copper inside corrodes and weakens once the jacketing is cracked. I've had to replace several lo-beam wire harnesses over the years, and recommend using only Volvo parts. Consider yourself lucky if this is your first headlight harness issue in 45 years!
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan