Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tell your story

Default Tell your story

So, why did you by an XC90?

You might want to start with yours!

That's a good question Forkster. My wife liked the looks so we got one. I for one am VERY unimpressed. This is my first and will be my last Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    That's a good question Forkster. My wife liked the looks so we got one. I for one am VERY unimpressed. This is my first and will be my last Volvo.
    I purchased an XC90 because of "the looks" also but not of the car rather "the looks" of my wife and children and wanting to keep them looking the same. Volvo (and Mercedes) have spent decades studying more actual automobile accidents than all the other companies combined beginning years before automobile safety became vogue in the United States and Asia. I believe this gives them an edge on safety that cannot be measured by the controlled and limited laboratory tests performed by NHSTA and IIHS.
    In addition to safety it's suitable size for our family and AWD for our climate were factors. Value including mileage and preowned cost and warranty were considered.
    It is not perfect and perhaps the second generation will be better but the "glass is half full".
    Steven
    2007 XC90 V8
    1998 V70XC
    1992 245

I must have been drunk when i bought mine, it is the biggest lemon I have ever owned. 06 V8, 36000 miles and 16 times at the dealer

Default Please -

To provide some balance and perspective to the below complaints, I come to Volvo from Mercedes and Porsche. My 05 G55 ate its transmission on the West Side Highway after 33K miles and had been back to the dealer for a split header that took 6 weeks to repair under warranty. I then traded that in May of 2009 for a 2010 Porsche Cayenne Transsyberia which lasted until Christmas Eve when the check engine light came on on the Saw Mill Parkway in 9 degree weather and the car stopped with no shoulder on the road. The Cayenne had 11.5K miles and the dealer took it for 5 days put new induction coils in it ("a known issue") and gave it back to me on New Years Eve only to have the vehicle do the same thing to me on New Years Day. Last I heard the injectors were being flown in from Germany and there might be an ECU problem. I never saw the vehicle again nor did I want to. I took the proceeds from the forced "sale" of my Cayenne and bought a loaded XC90. I am very impressed with the build quality and some of the features which were troubling in the Porsche. For example, having the radio functions handled by a different screen than the nav means that one can have the radio functions changed without having to lose the map. Very helpful. The bluetooth works much better than in the MB or the Porsche. I have both Sirius and Ipod and can have my wife plug in her chick music (if she must). Have had the XC90 out in 6 inches of snow and it works great. Time will tell but so far a very happy customer. For comparison, both the Porsche and MB were back at the dealer before 1k (MB for reversed and squealing fan belt, Porsche for non working central display). I will also add that the Volvo purchasing experience was a lot more low key with much less cappucino. Very honest and pleasant dealers thus far. You could throw all the MB dealers into the dumper as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by Excimer; 01-19-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Im new to the forum and to Volvo. I just bought one. I havent even picked it up yet. There are a few reason I bought one. Reputaion for safety. My wife and kids will be in this car most of the time. Also I have two friends who have XC90's neither of them have had any issues with them. So reliabilty was another reason. Reading through the forum briefly though sounds like I might be a little premature on the reliability thing. Time will tell

Default Service

Hello,
    I am new to this too. We have an 07 XC 90 3.2 AWD which we really love. We have had alot of people comment on it. It has about 60000 miles on it which don't bother me at all. We do have a local mechanic who works on them as we our Volvo dealers are about two hours away. Since it was due for oil change I called three dealers to see what else should be done service wise. I got three different answers and three different prices, ranging from 300 to 900. I found that very interesting. Needless to say I went to our local mechanic who cost me 154.
    Anyway, we plan to be Volvo owners for life.
    Also, our daughter has a 96 850 turbo wagon which she loves dearly even tho have had some minor problems. Amazing, she got that when she was a junior in college and five years later still loves it.

Default Why I got an XC90?

I was searching for new 4WD or AWD SUV that has functional third row.
    Previously, I had a people mover which did not cut it when moving off-road in Oz.

Started with the Pajero and was very disappointed with the third row seat. Similarly, the Prado and Landcruiser was slightly better but still not practical for long distance. In all the cases, I used my 10 year old son to try out the seats.

Volvo was not on my shopping list but decide to drop by the showroom as I was in the area. Straight-away, the third row was what I was looking for. Test drive it and straight away I fell in love with it. But it is not exactly a real 4WD. Then again, I reckon 98% of the time it would be on the normal road.

I bought the 3.2L AWD. Been with it for a year now and has never regret having it. Love the pace and pickup on the normal road. I've clocked almost 15000 km in a year.

In 2002, my wife and I were looking for an inexpensive used car that could eat up the miles and is easy to work on. After speaking to many mechanics, we decided on a 1991 Volvo 745. 50k miles later and no regrets! I was on the market for an economical second vehicle and my wife hits me with "all I ask is you make it a Volvo".........ok.......kiss economical goodby (I'm looking for 40mpg). Well, I guess I could look for a 6+ passenger, and here we are.
    Three rows, all with side curtain airbags, ABS, DSC, AWD, sunroof and a Volvo turbo 5! Best of all, Volvo dependability (providing I pick the 2.5 or v8 with the newer trans) for sub $15k (used of course) with all features listed......sign us up! We are now the new parents of a 2005 xc90 2.5 AWD 7 pass..
    I must say thanks To my mechanic Jimmy at the Volvo Clinic in Middletown, N.J. For his help and expertise. 732-530-9411 if anyone needs a good, honest Volvo mechanic in central Jersey. Thanks Jimmy. In no way am I being compensated for saying this, I just appreciate a good mechanic.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast