Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    And try to put the clamp back exactly where is was to avoid any possibility of an air leak
    I sure plan on doing so; though this clamp has a steel band on the inside which looks smooth at the end of the band (for the reason you just brought up).
    Good point though. Thank you!
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

Man I'm sitting on the edge of my seat here wondering if the problem was fixed or not? Hope you got it going Oka. Unless I'm mistaken, in your video where you showed fuel pressure, did the engine not start and run "then" just die or???
    "01" XC70, Polar Blue Metallic, Oak Leather, no 3rd seat, wife's ride.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
    Man I'm sitting on the edge of my seat here wondering if the problem was fixed or not? Hope you got it going Oka. Unless I'm mistaken, in your video where you showed fuel pressure, did the engine not start and run "then" just die or???
    Please give me till tomorrow, by noon (Alaska Time) to give a better update on the result.
    I will be doing the last test tomorrow morning when it's cold again like today at 21F.
    Thanks for your patience!

Default Hesitation Then Car Died. Will Turn The Engine But Won't Start

ISSUES
    1. Remote starter would not start the car when the outside temperature is as low as 40F.
    2. Removed this remote starter and installed a more sophisticated remote starter.
    This new device, still will not start at about same temperature.
    3. Car hesitates when accelerated to overtake another vehicle.
    4. During normal driving, sometimes, the car hesitates intermittently and continues to drive normally.
    5. Last month, stopped at the red light, took off and the car lost power. I could not go more than 18MPH.
    6. After about two miles, it stalled. When it is started, it immediately stops.
    7. Fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail and before the fuel filter read "normal" pressure.
    Purchased Fuel Pressure Sensor. Found out the 2001 XC does not have such, though it is in the
    manufacturer's parts catalog - confirmed it's non-existence for that year manufacture.
    8. Checked the throttle body and found out it has a white label and the car has 158,960 miles.

WORK DONE
    I must say kudos to you all, for all your effort to help me through troubleshooting what the issue(s) might be.
    I decided to order the Throttle device from XeMODeX, though more expensive, it is sent to you,
    pre-programed with your VIN number; just plug-an-play. One interesting check was the fuse for the throttle
    to the electronic module. The XeMODex instruction was to check and replace it since it must have burnt; and it was.

For the hose, it was so hard to get it over the throttle body. I thought using small grease or oil would have been my last solution.
    I first tried a hair dryer. I had my thumb on the edge of the hose checking it's durability with the heat. The edge did not really
    show it was soft enough, but immediately, I pushed it up there with some and it 'flopped' on it. Tightening the clamp was a big pain
    since it cannot be help well to screw on the clamp bolt. I did my best to hold the clam with my left finger with I at least tighten it
    enough to hold on while clamp it on tighter.

TESTING
    Installed a new battery Platinum H6-AGM with 760CCA and 950 CA.
    When all was back in place, turned the ignition and the car started right away.
    Drove it outside, washed it, let it sit for a while, tried the remote starter, it started.
    SATURDAY
    I let it sit the whole afternoon, the next morning.
    SUNDAY
    The temperature was 27F, the remote starter started the car.
    Turned it off, tried it again, it started. Did not touch it till this morning.
    TUESDAY
    The temperature in early morning was 20F. The remote starter started the car right away.
    Removed the new battery and put back the previous battery just to eliminate the previous
    issues as from the battery.
    WEDNESDAY
    This morning the temp was about 25F, and the remote starter started right away.

OBSERVATIONS
    When I drove it, I noticed the car drove much more smoother and it's acceleration was much more
    responsive and smoother. I love it!

I also noticed the engine at idle and neutral gear is about 700 RPM. That is nor normal, right?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REV.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	9127

SIDE NOTE
    I bought a 3/8" Milwaukee Ratchet (cordless) to do this work. I am happy I got this tool for future car work.
    Made things more bearable for me. The ratchet came out handy removing and installing the
    throttle body, this ratchet worked out so fine.

CONCLUSION
    I am happy with all the work I did with all the great help from you all. Seriously, I really appreciate all your help
    till next project comes up. Now, am ready for the looming winter in the Last Frontier.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, conclusion: it’s running well now?

Great news!
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    So, conclusion: it’s running well now?

Great news!
    Really well. I never knew this XC has this "let's go attitude". You step on it it just takes off and not kinda sluggish.
    Just changed how I drive it. Yesterday we had our first snow and icy roads which I learned from not to drive the way I was used to with this car. Luckily I was the only one that early morning when I had the little skid. The studded tires are going up this evening.

My only next issue is the 750 rpm iddle rev. Just called XeMODex and was told that speed is normal for my XC.
    Last edited by Oka; 10-18-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Ooopsy! Guess I spoke too soon.

This morning neither the remote starter nor the key would start the car.
    Here are some faults and an audio of the starting sound.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gq...pS6lDuGjaSfOJi

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	9131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	9132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	9133

Just curious, both the OEM security system and the Viper Remote Starter security systems all are functional at the moment.
    I have been enjoying the nice and very responsive ride since replacing the throttle device, need to get back to it as soon as possible.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Oka; 10-20-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Hello folks, am waiting for any ideas on where to go from here?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Oka; 10-21-2019 at 06:15 AM. Reason: For clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    This morning neither the remote starter nor the key would start the car.

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	9131
    There's an outside temp code stored - what temp is being reported to your CEM/ECM? You can click on the code and VIDA will give you diagnostic help.

A bad/erratic temp sensor (outside or engine) can make the engine not start. For instance if the sensor is reporting 150 degrees when it is 35 outside, the fuel system will send a very lean mixture, and the engine will spin over but not catch.
    Last edited by hoonk; 10-21-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    There's an outside temp code stored - what temp is being reported to your CEM/EMC? You can click on the code and VIDA will give you diagnostic help.

A bad/erratic temp sensor (outside or engine) can make the engine not start. For instance if the sensor is reporting 150 degrees when it is 35 outside, the fuel system will send a very lean mixture, and the engine will spin over but not catch.
    This issue did not cross my mind. Since I got this car, the temperature thingy on the dash has never reported the temperature and I kinda overlooked it since temperature checking does not really matter (living in Anchorage). I will check on the code when I get home this evening. Thanks for the information.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast