Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Outside Temperature Sensors

This morning it was the coldest temp since working in the car. Parked outside, frosted and at 31F.
    One press of the remote starter, the car started. Outside Temperature Sensors; no doubt were the culprits (at least for now).

Starting Issue Only With Remote Starter

https://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showt...Remote-Starter

Will be updating on any findings. The Check Engine light came back after two days of driving. Will trouble shoot that latter. Going to replace the spark plugs, hopefully tomorrow evening.

Thanks y'all!

Just started a new thread on "Immobilizer See manual" issue

https://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showt...380#post219380

Thanks
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

I replaced the two outside temperature sensors and my car started even at 32F.
    All is well now.

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    I replaced the two outside temperature sensors and my car started even at 32F.
    All is well now.
    Ooopsy, not so fast for me!
    Yesterday afternoon, I could not start the car with the remote starter at 45F. Went in the key gave me the error "Immobilizer See Manual".
    This morning, it won't start. I feel this recent no-start issue would be the current error. But if so, not with the remote starter if the key ring in the ignition is faulty.

Crankshaft sensor, maybe?

Unhappy Seems Am Back To Square One

Am really bummed about the car issues. Every time I do something, it works for a day or two and back to square-on.
    The Immobilizer See Manual has not come up yet. Just tried the car from inside the house with the remote starter,
    it started doing like before. Will crank very well but won't start.

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    Crankshaft sensor, maybe?
    Never had a bad one in my part of the world, - and 1991 (960) was the first year that style was used. Tech would say they found a bad one, I would buy one, they would try it, then i would put the new one on the stock and they would then find the real problem

Interesting. I have already got one. Will install it anyway. I don't know what else to do so am trying all I can.
    It's 31F outside, and just remote started the car and it started and still running as I type.
    Two days ago and yesterday, I did one of the tricks to possibly clear the Immobilizer See Manual error.
    - Press the fob OPEN and CLOSE five times and then start the car.

My fear of not being able to start the car would be getting stuck when am out and about if I were to start using the car.

Drove the car this morning. Almost to work, fifteen minutes later, I could feel the car kinda hesitating with light slightly dimming, during idling. At a stop, I put it in neutral gear to lay my foot on the gas pedal. I can take off again. I was able to get to work and park the car. When I got out, the smell from the exhaust was sort of not what am used to. Besides, I have never smelt exhaust smoke before. The irony was, I first drove to Lowes store, no problem, then went to work.

At home, it started with the remote with the Check Engine light on. But leaving Lowes, the Check Engine light went off then two minutes later, at a stop light, I noticed the little hesitation and a little dimming of the dash light. When I restart the car, it surges a little bit from 750RPM to about 1,200RPM while the light dims a little. Mass Air Flow issue? Alternator issue?

Help please!
    Last edited by Oka; 11-04-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Added more information.

Default Cam And Crank Sensor Wiring Interferance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mke5DcMbM6c

For our 2001 XC, would the design of the Cam and Crank Sensor wiring interfere with the ECM?
    Bye the way, the main part of the message is between 00:45 - 01:45.

Thanks

The cam sensor in that video is the early one used in the 1991-1998 cars. Have seen (and replaced) many bad ones that eventually prevent the car from starting. Usually a cam sensor code appears first. If cleared may take a while to come back, or the car may fail to start at some point afterward, so I learned to replace them BEFORE the car was towed in for a bad cam sensor.

Also the plastic wiring harness connector falls apart -

The 99+ cam position sensors are a different design, and I have never seen a bad one.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast