Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Default Fuel Pressure Sensor Location

Could someone tell me where the Fuel Pressure Sensor is located in 2001 V70XC?
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Pressure Sensor.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	9089
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    Could someone tell me where the Fuel Pressure Sensor is located in 2001 V70XC?
    There is not one on a 2001. I think 2003 was the first year that part was used along with a fuel pump control module that would vary the speed of the fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    There is not one on a 2001.
    That's my engine. Instead, the end has a valve with a blue cap.
    I got Fuel Pressure Sensor because all the symptom I have refers to the FPS.
    Since I don't have the latter, what would be the next thing to check?

Few months back, when I step harder on the gas to overtake a car, I tend to, sometimes, have a small hesitation.
    The issue started getting more noticeable. Two days ago, it just stalled. With the ignition, the engine will turn but
    won't start. Battery is ruled out. All I read on the web points to lark of fuel in the engine.

Interestingly, the parts catalog with the VIN says it should have the FPS. I have two 2001 and the other one does
    not have it either.

Thanks for pointing that out. It is a manufacturer's part error.

Thanks again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FuelPressueRail1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	9098
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few months back, when I step harder on the gas to overtake a car, I tend to, sometimes, have a small hesitation.
    The issue started getting more noticeable. Two days ago, it just stalled. With the ignition, the engine will turn but
    won't start. Battery is ruled out. All I read on the web points to lark of fuel in the engine.
    Any codes? VIDA is your friend and can point you in the right direction sometimes.

A simple cheap fix - Has anyone touched the intake air hoses - like the hose at the throttle plate? If improperly reinstalled most of those pipes can/do come off under high boost, creating a small to large air leak that can prevent the car from running/starting.

Or - do you have fuel pressure?

I trust the engine is spinning over - but are the cams turning and aligned properly? Timing belts jump teeth if they get loose for various reasons, or break from old age.

Any codes? VIDA is your friend and can point you in the right direction sometimes.
    No "Check Engine' on the dash.
    I did not try the VIDA. I can't now since the engine would not run.

A simple cheap fix - Has anyone touched the intake air hoses - like the hose at the throttle plate? If improperly reinstalled most of those pipes can/do come off under high boost, creating a small to large air leak that can prevent the car from running/starting.
    No work has been done in or around the engine to affect the hoses. Yes I know movements, like daily driving, can affect hoses.
    Did not check for any lose hose yet.

Or - do you have fuel pressure?
    I don't know if I have fuel pressure, I have not checked that. Since the car cannot run, VIDA is out of the way to check that.
    I could make a make-shilft pressure gauge to check on the pressure at the fuel rail.

I trust the engine is spinning over - but are the cams turning and aligned properly? Timing belts jump teeth if they get loose for various reasons, or break from old age.
    This last section, I have not thought of any of them.

Thank you!

I did not try the VIDA. I can't now since the engine would not run.
    Engine does not have to run for Vida to talk to your control units. Just plug in and turn the key on. The battery has to have enough voltage \current in it so if the battery is weak a charger on the car (or jumper cables to another car) may be needed.

Vida can't check fuel pressure unless you have a sensor

But you can press the schraeder (sp) valve and see how much fuel comes out and compare that to your running car (after spinning the engine over for a few seconds to hopefully build up fuel pressure.)

For future reference fuel pressures sensors usually do not make the car not start, usually just run bad or turn the check engine light on.
    Last edited by hoonk; 09-20-2019 at 01:37 PM.

To second what you mentioned about the 2001 XCs, I went to the Volvo dealer in town, and they don't know either. They depend on the official service manual that showed the FPS. I just finished chatting with someone from VolcoUSA. She confirmed that that year does not have a Fuel Pressure Sensor.

True, I forgot the engine don't have to be running to use the VIDA.
    Heading out to try out the VIDA if there would be any code.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Oka; 09-20-2019 at 10:07 PM.

There is not one on a 2001. I think 2003 was the first year that part was used along with a fuel pump control module that would vary the speed of the fuel pump.
    For all you 2001 XC70/V70XC owners, the Fuel Pressure Sensor does NOT exist.
    I visited the Volvo dealer in town who later called their main Volvo place in Lower 48,
    and was confirmed. I also called the tech department of the VolvoUS and I was also
    informed that my year does not have it and it is a mistake by them with the parts/repair
    catalogs. The FPS started with some 2002 models.

Good to know.
    Last edited by Oka; 09-20-2019 at 10:06 PM.

But you can press the schraeder (sp) valve and see how much fuel comes out and compare that to your running car (after spinning the engine over for a few seconds to hopefully build up fuel pressure.)
    Shouldn't I use a fuel pressure gauge to check what pressure it is, since the pressure should be of a certain range?

Shouldn't I use a fuel pressure gauge to check what pressure it is, since the pressure should be of a certain range?
    That would be best, if you have a gauge, you might be able to have vida run the pump since the engine does not run.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast