Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ABS Issues - starting to get frustrated

Hi everyone. Looking for a hand if anyone has any ideas.

For some time, I've had an ABS light on. Haven't really been worried about it, because everything worked fine except the cruise control. Now, the province has changed the 'DriveClean' test to no longer be a tailpipe test, but just a read of ODB2 codes, which it's throwing a p0502. I can't re-register without fixing this.

I went to the local junkyard and picked up spare wheel sensors, thinking that was the problem (had trouble getting my VIDA working, the computer I'd been running it on finally gave up). I found a faulty wheel sensor and changed it, and thought I was done - I wasn't.

Still bad, and I've got the following codes coming up from the DiCE (using a VMWare VM - this is much better than dedicated hardware).

BCM-0010 - Wheel sensor, left front Faulty signal
    BCM-0011 - Wheel sensor, left front Faulty signal
    BCM-0012 - Wheel sensor, left front Mechanical error
    BCM-0057 - Power supply Voltage too low
    BCM-0070 - Pump motor supply voltage Faulty signal.

I have a host of other issues with door modules, upper module, and power seat module, but nothing that looks like it should be affecting anything important.

My only thing left that I think I should do is pull the shaft out of the hub on the left front and inspect the tone ring in detail - but I'm pretty worried about the -57 and -70 codes causing more of an issue or causing the 10,11, & 12 codes to be thrown in the first place.

Looking for anything from authoritative assertions to wild ass guesses at this point.

Thanks!

Craig

The tone rings can be inspected using the sensor mount hole with it off the ground and a small flashlight, they can be replaced separately after removing just the front hubs with the shaft in place , any cracks are a problem. The failure of the rings brings on a cascade of codes that really don't apply, replace the bad rings and they go away, and you get the CC back working too. Plus you get to check each hub, which I did find one was starting to get rough, installed a replacement hub upon reassembly
    Last edited by AKAMick; 09-25-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Is your CEL on? If your DriveClean test is the same as that of Ontario, the ABS related codes may still allow you to pass the emissions test.

@goldxc70

I'm in ottawa - according to the test facility I went to, any CEL is a fail now. I thought I'd passed with this code (as I wasn't this motivated to get cruise working again) 2 years ago.

If they were going to get rid of the tailpipe test, they should have gotten rid of the test completely, or made it mostly about safety. This is a bit ridiculous. My 02 v70XC with just 391K on it is going to have a couple things not work.

http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/e...3944_Guide.pdf

• Vehicle OBD computer is unable to communicate with OBD
    emissions test unit, or
    • 2 or more supported non-continuous monitors not set to
    “Ready”, or
    • MIL is commanded “ON” with DTC(s).
    Looks like it's any OBD2 code that turns on the MIL now.
    Last edited by Viich; 09-24-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: confusing language

Quote Originally Posted by Viich View Post
    @goldxc70

I'm in ottawa - according to the test facility I went to, any CEL is a fail now. I thought I'd passed with this code (as I wasn't this motivated to get cruise working again) 2 years ago.

If they were going to get rid of the tailpipe test, they should have gotten rid of the test completely, or made it mostly about safety. This is a bit ridiculous. My 02 v70XC with just 391K on it is going to have a couple things not work.
    The test guy I used in Toronto said that there are "some situations" where you can still pass even if the CEL is on. However, the regs you quoted seem to suggest he's incorrect.

Earlier this year, I had to get a provisional pass (cost me $400) meaning I have to get a full pass in 2019 or take the car off the road.
    Last edited by goldxc70; 09-24-2017 at 05:16 PM.

http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/e...3944_Guide.pdf

Looks like it's any OBD2 code that turns on the MIL now.
    Yes, any code that turns the MIL (Check engine light) on will prevent the car from passing an emission inspection. If the light is on, a code stored in the ECM or TCM is causing it to be on.

But, the ABS light is not the MIL, and the ABS system does not effect emissions.
    You should fix your ABS system for safety reasons, but it has nothing to do with an emission inspection.

Multiple codes stored in the ABS system is commonly caused by a bad connection in the control unit. However in your northern climate, as others have suggested, Tone rings can fail due to rust, and abs pump failures are not uncommon either. For diagnosis you can run the car with the wheels off the ground (or while driving) and monitor the wheel speeds and activate the pump using VIDA.

I had the same code that you have: BCM-0070 - Pump motor supply voltage Faulty signal

I had other some other codes (speed sensor I think, not the same wheel sensor that you have). I replaced the ABS pump motor with a (used) one and all codes went away.

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

p0502.
    Just reread your first post - unfortunately if the ECM does not know how fast the car is going (the speed sensor code), that can have a bearing on Emissions and trigger a check engine light.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Just reread your first post - unfortunately if the ECM does not know how fast the car is going (the speed sensor code), that can have a bearing on Emissions and trigger a check engine light.
    Yea, apparently the ABS module gives some sort of compound signal to the ECM, no single sensor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast