Default Shifter Will Not Stay In "D" Without Holding

My 2001 V70XC with 223K still runs strong. The wife called this afternoon with a new one I have not seen. The shifter will not stay in drive it will flip into manual mode unless you hold the shifter to the right to keep in in Drive. The car drives fine, not a transmission issue that I can tell.

My observation is shifting down to drive from park appears to have resistance. It is not like the 06 which I was driving today.

Searching the forum, I did not get a hit. I will admit, I have yet to go looking on the other forums. Hoping someone here has advice?

These are electronic transmissions, so the gear shift is just a sophisticated electronic switch. If you remove the plastic cover, it will expose the mechanism. You're looking for a spring that has become detached.

Rocker Arm is a weak point, see item #16 https://parts.volvocarslisle.com/p/V...9/9463559.html

Quote Originally Posted by Xheart View Post
    You would want to replace rocker arm
    Remove the metal bracket for handle. It is in your way.
    Pull the box like cover up. There is a horse-shoe like clip at each corner - see orange arrow.
    Put a drop of oil at each horse-shoe.
    Start pulling at position diagonal across from the arrow, near driver's right-foot. Work slow and clockwise.
    Be patient.
    Attachment 6433

Attachment 6434

Last edited by Xheart; 09-13-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Agree with above, the shifter ‘claw’ mechanism breaks and then won’t stay in place, happened to me. The part is cheap $20 and fairly easy to replace if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

Thanks! It was a chaotic week which limited my ability to research. XHeart called it, I was able to get to the dealer yesterday and pick up the kit.

It should be a straight forward fix. Requires removal of center console. The having to pull apart what I will call the black plastic shift box. That really was the hardest part. XHeart, I read your post on MVS and tried the hair dryer and drop of oil on what you referred to as the horse shoe brackets. (There are U alignment saddles on the lower half that support the upper half). Ultimately, I believe the mechanical design is to ensure a tight fit with the clips that secure the upper to lower. Separating is achieved by pulling out as up on the fwd/aft sides. This gains access to the claw area, where the yellow half had sheared and dropped below.

$16 for parts. About an hour to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe_XC View Post
    Thanks! It was a chaotic week which limited my ability to research. XHeart called it, I was able to get to the dealer yesterday and pick up the kit.

It should be a straight forward fix. Requires removal of center console. The having to pull apart what I will call the black plastic shift box. That really was the hardest part. XHeart, I read your post on MVS and tried the hair dryer and drop of oil on what you referred to as the horse shoe brackets. (There are U alignment saddles on the lower half that support the upper half). Ultimately, I believe the mechanical design is to ensure a tight fit with the clips that secure the upper to lower. Separating is achieved by pulling out as up on the fwd/aft sides. This gains access to the claw area, where the yellow half had sheared and dropped below.

$16 for parts. About an hour to fix.
    Occupied with back to school.
    With proactive maintenance, I'm closer to 200,000 miles on our 2001 V70XC. It is a trusted ride.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes