Default Issues with gear stick and volvo coolant question

I got my car around mid-June. I recently went on a small roadtrip in the mountains and during the trip my gear stick started acting up. When I put it into drive, it automatically goes into low gear. I have to hold it in place in order for it to stay in the drive gear.

I also recently got the light flashing that my coolant level was low. My car came with no owner's manual and I've called around to find no straight answer on which coolant to use for my car (not even a suggestion of what brand). I've also been lucky enough to never need to change it before, so I have no idea how to do that as well (although I'm thinking youtube could probably help?). I'm just at a loss here.

I don't know much about cars, especially volvos, so any help would be appreciated. I'm currently living in the middle of nowhere and nobody in the town closest to me has given me any actual answers. There's also no mechanics near me that have worked on or will work on volvos, so I'm also at a loss there too.

Is the shift lever loose and flopping side-to-side? If so, there is a plastic cam that breaks, called a "rocker arm". https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1433...-volvo-9463559

Apparently no too difficult to replace, I have not had to replace mine.

As for the coolant, first you need to find where it is leaking, as there should not be any coolant loss. The radiator is likely, check the plastic side tanks for seeping. Also look the entire cooling system over carefully.
    Other than OEM Volvo coolant, Zerex G-05 is the closest replacement, but who knows what may be in now. Check the color, is it green, yellow or blue? That may help with the educated guess.
    Note that some of these coolants are not compatible with each other.
    Just top off with distilled water for now.

Let us know what you find.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Thank you! Yes, it is very loose. That does sound like it may be the cause.

As for the coolant, it is a green color. I topped it off with distilled water and so far have not seen any leaking, but will continue to keep my eye on it. Zerex G-05 is one I've been seeing repeatedly, so I will look more into that one.

You cannot mix the G-05 and the green stuff you have now. I think I would stick with what you have, otherwise you will have to thoroughly flush the system first, before switching to G-05 or Volvo OEM coolant.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000