Default Headlight problem.

Hi all
    The driver's side dim headlight went out. Purchased a new one and installed it. The new bulb also didn't work. The dash message center indicates bulb failure. Checked the fuses, all good. Switched out bulbs with other side, bulb was good. Light will not work in daylight mode or with the switch on. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks Brad

Thanks, will check and post back.

OK finally got a chance to check the voltage at the headlight bulb plug. With the engine running and or the light switch on or off I had .05 volts. I measured it between the plug terminals and also from the positive side of the plug to a body ground.
    Thanks Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad'sBB View Post
    OK finally got a chance to check the voltage at the headlight bulb plug. With the engine running and or the light switch on or off I had .05 volts. I measured it between the plug terminals and also from the positive side of the plug to a body ground.
    Thanks Brad
    According to the Factory wiring diagram edition that I have - for a 2004 the fuses for the dipped bean are #18 and 21 in the fuse box under the hood. #18 should be for the left side.

I have seen several instances where the CEM turns off power to the headlamp possibly due to a short circuit, maybe a shorted bulb - After a new bulb is installed it won't work until the car is scanned with VIDA and the codes are erased.

If you don't have access to VIDA or a compatible scan tool possible rebooting the car might solve it - Disconnect battery, hold terminals together for a few seconds, (to drain some memory) and reconnect.

Thanks. I will try the reboot as the closest dealer is 3 hours away. I was looking to purchase a scan tool. Was thinking of a carsoft i906. Anyone use or have one? Any other scan tools that you folks would recommend?
    Thanks Brad

I had the same problem and like Hoonk said, it was the CEM circuit was shut off. I brought it to a shop with VIDA and they cleared the code.

Any other scan tools that you folks would recommend?
    Yes, the stolen/hacked VIDA 2014d with a clone DICE unit is the best way to be able to scan your 2004 Volvo. You just need to supply a Windows 7 PRO computer with appropriate memory. Others have run VIDA in virtual machines so you don't necessarily have to have a dedicated computer. Try Ebay - should be able to find one for under $80.

Thanks. I will try the reboot as the closest dealer is 3 hours away. I was looking to purchase a scan tool. Was thinking of a carsoft i906. Anyone use or have one? Any other scan tools that you folks would recommend?
    Thanks Brad
    The iCarSoft i906 is good for having in the car all the time / on long trips. It reads out the Volvo-specific codes. However it is limited in clearing codes. It can clear CEM codes that are not safety-related, e.g., fuel trim, EVAP, MAF, but not codes in any of the other 30-odd modules. I'm guessing your headlamp code is classified as "safety-related", and thus beyond iCarSoft's reach.

DiCE/VIDA is the "all-in-one" Volvo software tool. The 2014D version you can get on EBay does everything except downloading modules with
    replacement software....parts lookup, repair procedures, electrical & mechanical drawings, code readouts and clears, plus live graphing.

Thanks all. Going to get the Vida Dice on Ebay.