Default 2008 XC70 206K Just replaced Thermostat and next will be Radiator fan

Long story short the wife drove the car to move in my son to college. She was sitting in a 105 degree parking lot running the air the the Triangle warning blinked once with the display saying high temp. She left the parking lot with no errors for the 300 mile trip. I knew the car had the original thermostat from the white line marked across the thermostat and water hose fitting from manufacturing. The hose was original also.

I replaced the thermostat without removing the intake manifold. I completely removed the passenger headlight assembly and moved the power steering tank into the headlamp opening. I do this when I change oil to be able to easily access the oil filter. I then removed the clip to the hose at the thermostat and I had a fight to get it loose from each other. Since I was replacing both the hose and thermostat I used a screwdriver to put in the crack between and help apply pressure to separate. Once that was off I disconnected the electrical sensor and the small hose and it came off easily. I removed the top radiator hose from the radiator and then removed the 4 T30 bolts holding the thermostat. It is amazing the vision you get on the lower bolts through the headlamp opening vs. feeling your way around it. When I separated the thermostat from the block parts started falling out and I knew I had a correct diagnosis. I put it all back together and install the small hose onto the thermostat and aligned the hose clamp so I could use a 7mm socket with a 2 foot 1/4" extension to go in through the headlamp opening straight onto the clamp nut. I put it all back and filled with coolant. That afternoon I drove it to BK to get a burger for dinner running the A/C. When we got back into the car I heard a noise like I heard when she arrived home that I thought was the smaller of the two fans. When I started the car the fans ramped up to full speed because it was sitting hot and I had the A/C on. I got to the fan and positively determined it was the small fan causing the vibration and noise. You could feel it in the steering wheel.

This leads me to my question for anyone that has done the job. If you look up Volvo's procedure for changing the thermostat you have to take off way too much stuff to do the job. I am hoping the same is applicable for the car to give birth to the fan unit and then put the new one back in. Anyone know the minimum that you must remove to change out the fan. If you look up VIDA such fun exist as Remove the air intake to the throttle body, air filter housing, battery box, p/S line at the pump, Serp belt, A/C compressor loose to move the lines away and it goes on and on and on. Thank you in advance for anyone that can tell me what I must remove at a minimum for it to birth the fan unit without damage to the radiator or anything else.

OK, I changed out my fan today and I will start by describing the process. For starters “let the force be with you” to anyone that tries this. It is a royal PITA to do. I had to release and remove the following.

1.Removed the negative lead on my battery
    2.Removed lower engine cover like changing oil.
    3.Unplugged both fan connectors on my radiator fan unit. Older cars have 2connectors and newer ones have 2 controllers but one plug.
    4.Removed my air intake to the throttle body.
    5.Removed my air filter upper and lower housing.
    6.Removed the torx screw on the transmission cooler and lifted it up and out of the lower bracket. This is on the drivers side of the car.
    7.Removed the rubber hose to the radiator that connects to the transmission cooler. Obviously be prepared to catch the coolant.
    8.Removed the 2 10 mm nuts that secure the power steering return hose so it is lose and can be pushed some out of the way.
    9.I lifted up the radiator while unlocking the upper lock tab with a screwdriver on the radiator to free it. I separated both the upper and lower fan slots.
    10.Now comes the fun part. You need three sets of hands for this one. The fan comes out by working with it by dropping the drivers corner down and working on coming out with the passenger side. The lower tabs stop you from lifting out the fan as it should come out. When you are trying to clear the lower passenger tab of the fan assembly you will loose your religion trying to clear the lower fan assembly tab by the AC Line and particularly the upper radiator hose. Once you clear then you must hold back on the AC lines to the point you think you will break something before the car gives birth to the fan assembly.

This car really should have been 2 inches longer in the front. I cannot imagine trying to change out the radiator. The new aftermarket NRF brand fan went in better than the old one came out. It may have been a little thinner. The factory obviously put the fan in before the engine went in. What a pain this was when it should have been easy. I have ran the fan through the 3 speeds and it functions as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
    OK, I changed out my fan today and I will start by describing the process. For starters “let the force be with you” to anyone that tries this. It is a royal PITA to do. I had to release and remove the following.

1.Removed the negative lead on my battery
    2.Removed lower engine cover like changing oil.
    3.Unplugged both fan connectors on my radiator fan unit. Older cars have 2connectors and newer ones have 2 controllers but one plug.
    4.Removed my air intake to the throttle body.
    5.Removed my air filter upper and lower housing.
    6.Removed the torx screw on the transmission cooler and lifted it up and out of the lower bracket. This is on the drivers side of the car.
    7.Removed the rubber hose to the radiator that connects to the transmission cooler. Obviously be prepared to catch the coolant.
    8.Removed the 2 10 mm nuts that secure the power steering return hose so it is lose and can be pushed some out of the way.
    9.I lifted up the radiator while unlocking the upper lock tab with a screwdriver on the radiator to free it. I separated both the upper and lower fan slots.
    10.Now comes the fun part. You need three sets of hands for this one. The fan comes out by working with it by dropping the drivers corner down and working on coming out with the passenger side. The lower tabs stop you from lifting out the fan as it should come out. When you are trying to clear the lower passenger tab of the fan assembly you will loose your religion trying to clear the lower fan assembly tab by the AC Line and particularly the upper radiator hose. Once you clear then you must hold back on the AC lines to the point you think you will break something before the car gives birth to the fan assembly.

This car really should have been 2 inches longer in the front. I cannot imagine trying to change out the radiator. The new aftermarket NRF brand fan went in better than the old one came out. It may have been a little thinner. The factory obviously put the fan in before the engine went in. What a pain this was when it should have been easy. I have ran the fan through the 3 speeds and it functions as it should.

For consolation and in support of your efforts, I'll mention here that I had the radiator and thermostat replaced last week (and radiator hoses while at it) . . . this job was 6+ hours of labor plus about $650 in parts. If you pulled this off by yourself, you probably saved yourself at least $1000.

Thank you for the information. It is good to know around what I saved. More tool justification for the wife.