Default Howdy all...just picked up a nice '06 xc70

Hello fellow Volvo drivers.
    I just bought an '06 XC70 with 270,000km. It drives and runs great. There are two messages, park assist and security. Can these be cleared? Not a big deal.
    Is there anything I should change as a preventative measure? Sensors, etc...I don't mind putting a bit of money into it. But I guess it it aint broke don't fix it right??

Quote Originally Posted by capnjim View Post
    I just bought an '06 XC70 with 270,000km. It drives and runs great. There are two messages, park assist and security. Can these be cleared? Not a big deal.
    Is there anything I should change as a preventative measure? Sensors, etc...I don't mind putting a bit of money into it. But I guess it it aint broke don't fix it right??
    Find out if the timing belt has been replaced at some point in the vehicles lifetime, if not, definitely get that done.

I bought an 05 XC70 with 105K miles on it, it’s a pain in the ass but the PCV system is likely due for an overhaul of that hasn’t been done either. Tons of great write ups here on it. Other than a starter and a wheel bearing replacement I’ve never actually worked on cars in my lifetime. This forum gave me the confidence to do a PCV rebuilt, transmission oil change via the “gibbons” method, and a wide range of other preventative maintenance procedures.

I’m fairly new here (bought the car last October), but I believe the timing belt (with water pump), PCV, and transmission oil change are the highest recommended procedures for longevity of a newly purchased used XC70.

No clue on the park assist, but regarding the alarm message I believe that’s often the result of the battery inside the unit dying. There’s writeups on putting a new one in, I just personally haven’t bothered to do it in mine.

Park assist - I had a sensor (seems it's always the third one from the left) die and throw an error message.

Get the error codes read with Volvo VIDA and it will have more detail on why the codes are thrown.

Quote Originally Posted by capnjim View Post
    Congratulations on your new (to you) XC70.

As NTXC said below, the alarm message is usually to do with the battery failing in the alarm module which is under the fender liner in the passenger front wheel well. Sometimes the failed battery will leak and damage the circuit board. It's an easy enough fix but you have to decide if you want to buy a Volvo replacement or replace the battery on the faulty unit. I found one in a scrap yard, opened it up, checked that the battery and unit were good and installed it in about an hour.

Can't help with the park assist, sorry.