Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with ABS light, brake light, no odo or trip and brake failure on DIM

Hello folks!

Just got a 2004 XC70 yesterday. It has some issues...

The car drives great, other than having a loud exhaust (New one on the way). Brake lights work.

Here are the main issues that worry me:

- Red triangle with exclamation point lit
    -BRAKE lit up
    -ABS lit up
    -LCD says BRAKE FAILURE STOP SAFELY
    -Trip odometer shows dashes
    -Odometer does not increase

Everything else seems to work. Temp gauge works, fuel gauge is fine, speedo is good, tach is good... Battery voltage is 12.6. Tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it (correct procedure) to "reset" the computers. No change. Car is not in limp mode.

My mechanic will do a full test and find the faulty module next Friday. He thinks its the ABS/BCM module (Which I am also leaning toward)

Sorry for filthy dash, just got the car. Dash has since been cleaned.

Im having lots of trouble uploading a photo, so just use this link https://i.imgur.com/aQyxUAT.jpg

Since taking the photo the red triangle is now yellow. Clock DOES work, i just didnt set it at time of photo.

You need to read out any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) -- based on the ABS and BRAKE FAILURE warnings, you can expect more detailed information once you access stored DTCs. Volvo used car owners benefit greatly from investing in either DICE/VIDA system (PC laptop software), or a Volvo-specific OBD-II scanner (such as the iCarSoft i906 for Volvo / Saab). I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bum wheel sensor - if so, the DTC will name the specific wheel.

Equipped with a scanner, you can then post specific DTCs to this site, or use it to search all the Volvo chat sites, and get back very detailed advice (in many cases but not all).

Darn, so no way out of a VIDA. Suppose it would be nice to have my own scanner though

Have one on the way now, along with some more XC70 stuff. Ill update once I get the codes I suppose. Thanks for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnya101 View Post
    Red triangle with exclamation point lit
    -BRAKE lit up
    -ABS lit up
    -LCD says BRAKE FAILURE STOP SAFELY
    -Trip odometer shows dashes
    -Odometer does not increase

He thinks its the ABS/BCM module (Which I am also leaning toward)
    An ABS control unit is a common failure, but a proper diagnosis using VIDA or a compatible scan tool would be the first step. If you lose one wheel speed signal for various reasons you can get similar symptoms. For instance a loose axle nut will cause all sorts of problems if the tone ring does not align with the wheel speed sensor.

If it is a bad ABS module a NEW one will need a software download to make it work. An alternative would be a pre-programmed rebuilt unit from a vendor such as Xemodex. You would order one from them with your VIN and it arrives plug and play.

My advice (I concur with other posters) is to get a recent cheap destop with a version of Windows 10 and look using search on this site for VM version of Volvo ViDA it will lead you to a post with multiple pages but on the fist there are links to the download of this and (if you don't already have it in Windows) an unzipping tool I find Winzip better than 7zip but that's me.
    Read through the first few pages several times before you touch the downloads.
    Also download a virtual machine I think from memory there are several suggestions made in the post. Instal that (VM of choice) on Windows and reboot.
    Then unzip the VM image of Vida you downloaded and follow the instructions on how to install on the Virtual Manager (the download of Vida also contains a copy of Windows 7 Pro - with all the working settings pre-configured) and if you are contientious in reading the installation notes FIRST you will find this is easy even if you are a computer dummy. Finally you will need to purchase a cheap Chines made DiCE clone. Google and this site searh tool are your friend in finding, deciding which of many to choose. I am not giving you advice as I am in the UK and bought mine ten years ago it always works perfectly fine.
    Using the VM version keeps it separate from other programs you may use the computer for and you do not need to configure anything or install drivers. That takes knowledge, experience and patience. None-the-less, Volvo Vida +DiCE is invaluable and will repay your time and $$ many times over. Don't take this the wrong way but anyone who choses a PII Volvo AWD is crazy to think its like a Ford or that it can be worked on and repaired by any DIY spaner shifter. Yes, if you know what you are doing but the Volvo codes as others have said are necessary to making a correct diagnosis and going down the right road to a fix. Oh and of course asking members here for help with specific issues. Good Luck.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Dont worry, bought a pre setup one from TacklaNHL who seems to be very highly regarded among Volvoists. Its coming with a tested VIDA too.

Symptoms sound very similar to mine a few years back. In my case, it was the ABS module (as hoonk mentions below) which I got repaired locally here in Toronto. There is no problem driving the car with the module out, while waiting for the repair as the ABS is not working anyway.

Easy enough to extract the module as long as you have the correct Torx socket. Connector is a bit complicated and needs to be handled gently. Once the repair was done, everything came back to life immediately.

Here are the VIDA codes before the repair was done:

CEM-1A5F Communication with BCM control module Signal missing
    CEM-1A64 Communication with AOC control module Signal missing
    ECM-9400 Brake pedal sensor - Signal missing

If you get a module from a wreckers yard, it has to be matched, via software download, to your car which, depending on the dealer, can be much more expensive than the repair. I can give you details of the guy who did mine if you're interested.

Got the codes folks! What's going on here? Ignore the mirror stuff.

Here's a link to the photo

https://i.imgur.com/YvSRwwe.jpg

From those codes i would record, then erase and rescan to see what comes back or click on ones that you think are relevant (brake pedal sensor and communication) to bring up a diagnostic process for that code. And follow those suggestions to possibly come up with a diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnya101 View Post
    Got the codes folks! What's going on here? Ignore the mirror stuff.

Here's a link to the photo

https://i.imgur.com/YvSRwwe.jpg
    In my case, it was "CEM-1A5F Communication with BCM control module Signal missing" that pointed the electronic repair tech to the ABS module. The repair was CAD190 here in Toronto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast