Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default v70 awd 2004 - hesitates during harder acceleration

I had to bury my 2001 v70 in May- likely the transmission was going out - but a high mileage gold jaguar made sure I would never find out...

I had to quickly buy a car - so I now have a 2004 v70 awd 2.5T - just 100,000 miles on it this week (my mechanic checked it out - he has been with me for 4 wagons - and he was on the fence about this one - but we know what work has to be done.)

The issue at hand - I do a lot of expressway driving in Chicago - so acceleration is a must - I've noticed the past month or so that ONLY when trying to accelerate quickly (not crazy) and the car is already between 55 and 70mph - there is a hesitation or "stuttering" for lack of a better term - and eventually it moves past it. But it is pretty pronounced and only during that speed range and action.

IF I simply accelerate slow and smooth past this range to 70 or 80 - the acceleration is smooth the whole time with no issue.

Any ideas? Thanks -

I have this same exact vehicle (2004 V70A). Does it feel like a transmission issue (slippage or not downshifting), or a lack of fuel thing or a turbo thing (slow spin up)?

I have a 2006 XC that shifts much differently and the wastegate on the turbo seems a bit more aggressive, so there's a completely different feel to the 2004. But once the 2004 gets a head of steam it moves quicker than the 2006, but it's 2-3 seconds behind the 2006 to start. I actually asked my trusted indie to drive it and tell me if I was imagining things. I asked if the software could be updated and he told me the shifting was a 2004 thing and it wouldn't help.

At the speed you're talking about I'd first think tranny and downshift logic. How about trying a manual downshift to 4 (or even 3) followed by acceleration to see if that cures or changes the hesitation experience?
    ---
    '04 AWD
    '05 XC (totaled in a rear end collision; RIP)
    '06 XC

Thanks for the details to check out - to be honest - much of it I don't understand - so I am going to ask my mechanic to help check it out - so this is a great list - thank you!
    RE: what it feels like

If I am going 55 and want to accelerate to pass someone - if I go slow and steady in the acceleration - it is very smooth and after 70+ i can accelerate harder and it is still smooth. IF i need to pass someone quickly and accelerate quickly - it feels like it might actually die, it is sputtering and hesitating, then it sort of recovers and moves forward out of that 10-15mph range ok. In case that describes it better - it doesnt feel like transmission slippage - more like maybe a fuel issue? or turbo (i'm just not very familiar with symptoms related to turbo). And no dash warning lights get triggered during this.

thanks~

Take a look at this thread. Yours sounds very much like the problem I had recently with 2004 XC70 -- same B5254 T2 engine.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ns-over-50-mph

Thanks for directing me - at a minimum the sparks coils etc would be an easy first step in process of elimination -

The first minimum would be spark plugs, then go from there,
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

much appreciated- thanks~

Sounds to me more like a coil. How is it when accelerating uphill on highway?
    Mine would rumble hard. I figured out I could shift down to 4th and then I could accelerate until I got back to flat ground. I thought it was the trans, but found similar symptoms here and got lucky. Just a coil.

Should also mention that the rumble was actually a misfire which caused the CEL to blink. If you are getting that, you can (I think) rule out the trans.
    Last edited by gary g; 08-13-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Sort of off-topic but I believe I'm chasing a misfire with no CEL myself. Is there an effective way I can use VIDA to tell whether my car is misfiring or not (without showing a code) ? Sorry for the n00b question..
    Hers- 04 XC70 2.5T, 300KM
    His- 04 S60 2.4, 310KM

Plugs and coils would also be my first stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast