Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need some help with replacing rear Coil springs on 2007 XC70

Hi All,
    I'm new to the Volvo world but have some experience with changing Rear Springs in a Suzuki and Jeep.
    I have 2007 XC70 that was failed in a safety inspection due to broken rear spring.
    So I ordered from Volvo :
    For the left spring :
    https://www.volvooftorontoparts.ca/p...1/8646865.html
    For the Right spring:
    https://www.volvooftorontoparts.ca/p...3/9473371.html

I should get the parts any day.
    I have the spring shrink tool.

I never replaced a rear spring that has the shock absorber inside as the XC70 does. Wasn't able to find nothing with a video or photos that explain how to replace only the springs.

Can I just open the suspension form the lower side and the spring will drop out or I need to unmount the upper Spring/Shock mount too ?

Thank you,
    Kal

You need to take it out. The shock mount has 3 bolts: 2 underneath and 1 inside the trunk. It might be a good idea to replace shocks at the same time, Sachs are like $50-60/piece.

From the spring compression point of view, the rear shock assembly is like any McPherson strut.

Make sure you have marked the positions of spring, rubber inlay and shock mount relative to each other, otherwise you'll difficult time assembling it back.

You also will need to lower control arm. Use your standard jack (widow maker) or bottle jack between control arm and chassis.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    You need to take it out. The shock mount has 3 bolts: 2 underneath and 1 inside the trunk. It might be a good idea to replace shocks at the same time, Sachs are like $50-60/piece.

From the spring compression point of view, the rear shock assembly is like any McPherson strut.

Make sure you have marked the positions of spring, rubber inlay and shock mount relative to each other, otherwise you'll difficult time assembling it back.

You also will need to lower control arm. Use your standard jack (widow maker) or bottle jack between control arm and chassis.

Thank you so much for the fast reply, is it very difficult to replace the springs and the shock? how long should it take for doing that for the first time on a Volvo ?
    And would it be a good idea to buy the original Volvo shocks or what will be other brand options? like Bilstein, Monroe, Rancho, KONI, etc.

ps: are the XC70 2007 and the V70 shock the same ?

Thanks

Not difficult, I do both sides under two hours with beer at hand and no rush at all. Are you going to do it on a lift on just in your garage?

Sachs is OE. You'll get Sachs in a blue box for twice the price when you buy Volvo shocks.

V70 AWD and XC70 shocks are similar, but not the same IIRC.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

unfortunately, the lowest price for 2X rear Sachs I found including shipping is 200 $ USD. My 2007 xc70 has only 140,000 KM and it's wasn't driven in high traffic. I'm thinking about taking the chance with not replacing the shocks as I just paid for other parts that needed for the safety inspection including the Volvo springs almost 450 USD (I form Canada and the Canadian dollar is very low now, so everything cost approx 30% extra).
    I will be doing that on my driveway, have a big jack (like the tire places do) and a smaller jack .
    Thank you very much for your good advices.

If anyone will be able to share a link with some pics or video that could be super helpful too as I found that only for the V70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFKFgJ7PnM

On 3 P2 cars I had (1x FWD V70, 2x XC70) at similar age I had at least one shock blown.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

thanks!
    So why Volvo doesn't have a recall on Springs as they fail a lot (anyway in colder countries that use salt for cleaning the ice)?
    I had so many vehicles in my life, some were 20+ years and never, but never I heard on broken spring on a passenger car.
    That is a clear safety issue.

Saw the video, do I need a spring compressor?
    Thank you

That's a good vid vtl linked to that shows the various components and locations.

I replaced my right rear spring a couple of weeks ago which was broken. With the new spring, the car's rear end sits a little uneven so I guess I should also replace the other side. A few points from my experience:

1. Definitely be familiar with how to position the car's tire jack in order to lower the control arm to remove/install the spring strut. Like in the video, my old broken spring had to be pried out and using the jack to lower the arm made the difference. There's a thread on this site which has a good pic. See page 4: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ht=rear+spring

2. Chalk works well to mark the position of the shock mount and the rubber spring seat. You need to know how these align in order to properly reassemble the strut with the new spring. Otherwise when you put the spring strut back in, your screw holes ain't gonna line up. I made my marking before I took out the spring strut.

3. When you remove the old spring strut, you need a "special tool" to remove the nut on top of the strut because it's recessed in the housing. I was able to get enough of a grip on the nut with a standard pliers and then break free the T40 bolt inside the nut to loosen the nut off. Others have used pipe wrenches, vice grips...

4. I've just got a basic manual spring compressor set up. I've used it for about 4 springs. Yeah it takes time and is a PITA but it's worked for me. When you remove the top nut from your old spring strut, take a look to see how much of the threads of the strut are sticking thru the shock mount. You need to compress your new spring enough so that when you put the bolt back on, you've got the same amount of threads poking thru there.

This was an easier job for me thanks to the use of the car's tire jack. Good luck!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Hitrick View Post
    thanks!
    So why Volvo doesn't have a recall on Springs as they fail a lot (anyway in colder countries that use salt for cleaning the ice)?
    I had so many vehicles in my life, some were 20+ years and never, but never I heard on broken spring on a passenger car.
    That is a clear safety issue.
    I have/had 3 P2 wagons, each 10-15 years old, never had a spring broken. On my VW Polo the front spring broke at its 6th birthday. So I sort of disagree.

Before the spring decides to break, the suspension is 100% blown (shocks died, springs sagged, control arm bushings cracked/separated), the car is not safe to drive, it handles like POS and is dangerous on highways.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast