Default Turbo Replacement Cost:Help with a Question that a friend asked me.

A friend of mine mentioned that his neighbor has bad turbo on his XC-90, I'm assuming it's from one of the first generation cars from 2003-14. He says is a beautiful car, but that's basically all I know.

So, the neighbor got a diagnosis on a bad turbo and the estimate was for around $3500. I thought that was absurd. We have to assume here that the 'neighbor' has no DIY skills, and has to take to a shop. Any ideas of labor costs for this project? Does the engine have to be lifted out? I priced a genuine Volvo turbo at around $1250. So that's quite a large labor charge.

Any advice I can pass on, or is this vehicle destined for the junkyard?

Thanks
    2004 Volvo XC70 83k
    1994 MX-5 Miata M-Edition 35k
    2003 Ford E-150 Econoline 110k

Which engine - t5 or t6? (t-6 has 2 turbos)

The Volvo time guide quotes 5.1 hours to replace just the t5 single turbo, and I doubt anyone would do one for that little time. Usually the are many complications that will add considerable time. (broken bolts, ect)

A turbo goes bad from lack of lubrication. Many replacement turbo jobs I have done have needed the oil pan removed, cleaned and clogged pickup replaced to restore oil pressure. The PCV system is going to be clogged also.

Also, if enough oil goes through the exhaust the catalytic converter can be damaged also - is an emission inspection required in your area?

If it's a t6 I would not fix it unless the transmission was recently replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Which engine - t5 or t6? (t-6 has 2 turbos)

The Volvo time guide quotes 5.1 hours to replace just the t5 single turbo, and I doubt anyone would do one for that little time. Usually the are many complications that will add considerable time. (broken bolts, ect)

A turbo goes bad from lack of lubrication. Many replacement turbo jobs I have done have needed the oil pan removed, cleaned and clogged pickup replaced to restore oil pressure. The PCV system is going to be clogged also.

Also, if enough oil goes through the exhaust the catalytic converter can be damaged also - is an emission inspection required in your area?

If it's a t6 I would not fix it unless the transmission was recently replaced.
    Okay, well I guess that pretty much explains it. I appreciate your taking the time to reply. I'll pass this on to my friend. And yes, emission inspections are required here in NY State. I suspect my friend thought I might be interested in it, since I'm a Volvo nut, but the last thing I need is an expensive project car.
    2004 Volvo XC70 83k
    1994 MX-5 Miata M-Edition 35k
    2003 Ford E-150 Econoline 110k