Default Radiator Fan Trigger

Hello all.
    I recently noticed my 2004 XC70 was going up to 220F without triggering the radiator fan.
    The radiator fan runs fine when the A/C is on, and the car stays cool. The car only gets up to 220F if I let it idle with the A/C off on a warm day.

From what I read, this is actually the normal function of the radiator on our cars. 220F seems incredibly high to me, I never let it go any higher without shutting it down.
    Is this really a normal temperature for the radiator fan to still be completely off at? In my 2001 BMW 330ci, the low-speed fan triggers around 203F.
    I don't want to lose a radiator hose or head gasket because Volvo decided 220F was okay for an idle coolant temp. Seems nuts! I may just have to run A/C all summer long.

Thanks for your insight.

The system is designed for 220°F or 105°C, it's a (lightly) pressurized system.
    At this temperature and when the prescribed oil viscosity range is used, the oil
    will have the right viscosity for a petrol engine of this generation.
    Nothing nuts about it
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    The system is designed for 220°F or 105°C, it's a (lightly) pressurized system.
    At this temperature and when the prescribed oil viscosity range is used, the oil
    will have the right viscosity for a petrol engine of this generation.
    Nothing nuts about it
    I suppose I'll just have to let it get up to that temp next time, as soon as I saw it hit 221F I shut the engine off, but the radiator fan never came on.
    I would much rather have the temperature stay in the low 200's as does my BMW. 220 sounds high, especially for a turbo engine!

Mine has run happy for 18 years like that. Only once did it warn about getting too hot - when the thermostat failed shut excluding the radiator. Just suck it up, BMW is not the be all and end all.