Default Ignition Key Cylinder Replacement, new keys, immobilizer setting?

Hey. The key will not turn in the ignition, I understand that this is not uncommon.

I understand I need to replace the ignition lock assembly. I can have the ignition cylinder assembly replaced by my local mechanic, now what about the new keys for that assembly and the immobilizer? Am I stuck heading to the dealer to be raked over the coals for a new key for their dealer ripoff price? Do they need to deal with the immobilizer?

Thanks so much

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjeff View Post
    Hey. The key will not turn in the ignition,

now what about the new keys for that assembly and the immobilizer?

Do they need to deal with the immobilizer?
    You or your shop orders a new steering column lock from the dealer using your VIN, and your existing keys will work to turn the lock. Your antenna ring for the immobilizer is reused and the keys are the same so the car still "knows" your keys. In the end - a new steering column lock is bolted on and everything works! Just your wallet hurts

Key goes in, will not turn at all. Cannot rotate at all. Does this indicate key cylinder is bad?

I will disassemble the steering lock and start with the screwdriver, fortunately the car is at my location.

Any specifics on troubleshooting whether it's the ignition key cylinder assembly (I hope it's not this as I think I'd also have to buy new keys too $) or the steering lock?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjeff View Post
    Key goes in, will not turn at all. Cannot rotate at all. Does this indicate key cylinder is bad?

I will disassemble the steering lock and start with the screwdriver, fortunately the car is at my location.

Any specifics on troubleshooting whether it's the ignition key cylinder assembly (I hope it's not this as I think I'd also have to buy new keys too $) or the steering lock?

Thanks.
    If your steering column lock is not binding (just wiggle steering wheel back and forth while attempting to turn the key) - then you have a bad steering column lock. You could take the electrical portion off the left side of the column lock just to make sure that switch is not seized (never have seen a seized electrical portion) Search the internet for Volvo key wont turn and you will find where some have taken the bottom of the column lock off and made theirs work again.

If you buy a new lock - As i mentioned earlier - order a new one specific to your VIN so your old keys will work.

Default How to disconnect black wire to steering lock

Could you tell me how to disconnect this black wire?

Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steering lock wire.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	9001

I used Gibbon's method described in this thread when it happened to me (in a parking lot at a customer's office) - http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...=ignition+lock

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

I seem to remember that it's advised to disconnect the battery before working
    on the electrics of the steering lock to avoid triggering the SRS system.
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

On a donor chassis that got all of my crashed car contents I replaced the key cylinder to keep my old 3 keys. The only donor key was glued to donor's immobilizer antenna and hidden behind the dashboard. I.e. the real key is always inside the car. I also replaced the rear view mirror (UEM) to have remote fob working in my old keys.

In your case you can simply break the cylinder (some minor disassembly is required) and remove the steering wheel lock function.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)