Default Accessory belt chirp

My '13 XC70 T6 (109K miles) has developed a chirping sound. I ruled out anything with wheel bearings -- does it parked in the driveway.

Chirp starts sounding after engine warmed up, when at 1300-2000 RPMs. I narrowed the sound to the front of the engine -- accessory belt area.
    It's high-pitched chirp, like a failing ball bearing.

Let's assume I replace the Accessory Belt, idler and tensioner. What other replaceable parts would be wise to consider? What parts are needed for the alternator clutch coupling? Should I replace the water pump? Planning to keep this car another 100K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    What other replaceable parts would be wise to consider? What parts are needed for the alternator clutch coupling? Should I replace the water pump?
    If you remove the compressor to get to the belt and tensioner/idler pulleys - you should replace the water pump while there and may find the one way clutch/coupler driving the AC and water pump to be bad also. You can easily test the one way clutch for that belt - you should be able to move the belt one direction (with the engine off) by pushing it with your finger - it should spin one direction but not the other.

That repair can be close to $$$$ retail. And you use part of the alternator clutch removal tool to replace the belt drive gear one way clutch.

In answer to your question - belt, 2 pulleys, maybe the tensioner, water pump, maybe the one way clutch drive gear, maybe the ps pump drive spring -

The alternator coupling can go bad also, the intake manifold needs to be removed to be able to get to it, and Volvo sells a special tool to be able to replace it.
    Alternator clutch replacement is just the clutch on the front of the alternator, dust cover over that (i only found that at the dealer) and the intake manifold orings -

RESOLUTION:

This "chirp" was a ruptured membrane inside the PCV oil trap (long black box covering valves, top of engine near windshield). No wonder it couldn't be located with a stethoscope! More typically, the sound is a steady whistle. In any event, to diagnose it, you merely remove the oil filler cap and the sound silences in response.

This is a simple repair anyone can do. You have to replace the PCV oil trap and gasket ($170).

I'm still learning about this I-6 B6304 T8 engine. Will go back to hoonk's notes on the accessory belt redo when I get to 150K miles....thx.

Glad that you found it.
    Had mine go bad in 2016 on vacation. Post 25 shows pictures.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...=ssicarman+oil