Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Consumption

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Oil Consumption

Greetings all.
    Among other minor inconveniences, I informed Volvo service that my '15.5 T6 xc70 burns 1 quart oil per 2,500 miles. Mileage at this time was 63,000. The 60,000 mile service was completed four months prior at 57,500 miles. The Certified Pre-Owned vehicle was purchased ten months prior at which time the 50,000 mile service was completed (oil change included). The tech appeared to have heard this complaint before. Volvo tech said they no longer perform piston ring changes, instead using engine oil additives (BG Extended Life MOA) as part of an 'Engine Performance Restoration Kit'. Although the oil additive is much cheaper than a piston ring overhaul job I was not informed I would be charged for this service. Additionally, Volvo

Although I own the vehicle, I am not the cause of this problem. I believe the $170 should be returned to me. Thoughts on recourse I might pursue?

Moreover, this engine has an oil consumption problem, right? By comparison, my '05 xc70 barely burned oil and did not require additives or restoration kits in the thirteen years I owned it. I realize the '05 has a different engine.

I feel I was sold a defective vehicle. Your thoughts on this?

I think you have a good case to force Volvo to repair the engine under the CPO program.

First, don't jump to conclusions about how the oil is being consumed. This is a Turbo, so it's possible that there is an oil leak in the turbo unit...the oil gets burned the same as a sloppy ring. An endoscopic inspection of each cylinder with the spark plug removed can determine if the leak is a ring problem. If the spark plugs are fouled, this alone would be grounds for repair, or returning the car. Did you obtain the CPO inspection report when you bought the car? If not, ask for it.

If the local Volvo dealer won't respect your complaint, then escalate by taking the problem to Volvo Cars USA. You could possibly build a case on the pollution from oil burning -- cite the ULEV-II (or ULEV-III) emissions standard that is claimed for the vehicle. Ask Volvo USA for a copy of the ULEV-II Test Report for your 2015.5 T6. There's a sticker underside of the hood giving the emission standard your Volvo was built to.
    Last edited by pbierre; 04-21-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    I think you have a good case to force Volvo to repair the engine under the CPO program.
    Did you obtain the CPO inspection report when you bought the car? If not, ask for it.
    Ha! So I wasn’t paranoid after all!

I just bought a 15.5 xc70 t6 and it seemed a bit fishy that the only place the CPO was mentioned was on my bill of sale. No report, no nothing. I still have to keep reminding them about the service records they promised me and never delivered...
    Is this report a standard procedure that is to be uniformly followed by dealearships selling a CPO car? Or is there a wiggle room? I’m really interested.

Thanks! And hey, good luck with your legal battle Loma Prieta!

If you've asked the Volvo Dealer for your copy of the CPO Inspection Report, and they refuse to produce one, my sense is that is your only legal grounds to have the sale reversed. If you read my earlier post about this report, I attached a blank report so you can see what it looks like. If the dealer is selling a used Volvo as CPO, but lacks documentation of the CPO Inspection, and can't provide the buyer with a copy, then ask Volvo Cars USA for their help in getting the sale reversed. You will probably have to threaten to sue the dealer if they won't take the car back for a refund. Be absolutely sure the CPO Inspection Report was not bundled with your sales contract before dropping the hammer.

Hi Pbierre--
    I asked Volvo Cars USA for a few things, one being the CPO Report. They did not acknowledge the request. I did, however, request their assistance in locating a suitable replacement vehicle. You know, some sort of goodwill gesture toward a trade that'd keep the twenty-year customer happy, Volvo looks good, all that crap. Reversing the sale, as you suggested, would have been okay to me. They flat out said no...that extraordinary circumstances are needed for that to happen. In fact, there was no discussion between me and Volvo Cars USA. I spoke with a representative who ostensibly is a reporter and has no capacity to make decisions. They made their decision not to work with me upon reading my letter.

Volvo Cars USA apparently missed the major points of my letter to them. 1] I did enough services (five) in one year attempting to solve the vehicle vibration problem and did not want to remain on this course, and 2] as a solution, indicated I want to remain a customer with a replacement vehicle. Volvo Cars USA lately indicated to me that they're sorry they can't meet my expectation of getting a new car from them. Also, they want me to return the vehicle every 2,500 miles for service. I wanted neither.

I don't see where a suit gets me anything: I will have to pay legal fees. Volvo has made their decision. And I shouldn't have to fight to remain a customer. It's not worth it. Service Advisor lied to my face, Volvo Cars USA missed the intent and spirit of my letter to them. I'm the only one who wants to remain a Volvo customer. They know all of this and remain uncommitted to the customer and their product. Volvo Cars USA is happy if I continue driving a faulty car.

Ideally, I return the car to the dealership's other company--Toyota--as trade. This way the service dept continues servicing the car and hearing the same complaints for same problems but from the next owner.
    Last edited by Loma Prieta; 07-03-2019 at 02:25 PM.

I am no expert on the subject but Volvo seems to be pretty flaky on this issue of oil consumption. They seem to either want to overfill by a quart or in your case, and no doubt others, use an additive. I find the latter very interesting since the XC70 owner's manual specifically states, "Oil additives must not be used." I also read that BG Extended Life MOA will reduce the life of detergents. I have no experience with this product, however.

Each dealer is an independent franchise. I would imagine some of them are conscientious and some of them are unscrupulous.

You may find that Volvo Cars US defers to the dealer in which case you'll keep getting the same song and dance. I hope you get some remedy that is more satisfactory than what has been described.

What was the $170 for? Your first paragraph seems to be incomplete.

The $170 is the cost for the 'Engine Performance Restoration Kit'.

I too was surprised at how quickly Volvo Service went against Volvo recommendation of not using oil additives. Seems they've voided their own warranty!

Have you taken any action yet? Have you contacted Volvo?

I suppose the thing to do first is, as pbierre suggested, try to determine where the oil is going. Any progress on that?

I have contacted Volvo and will notify this group of how the oil problem and another issue resolves.

Despite the sale of a CPO being as-is and the engine inspection not checking cylinder compression, my case and possible others like it may alert Volvo to the need for more thorough inspection criteria.
    Last edited by Loma Prieta; 05-14-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loma Prieta View Post
    I have contacted Volvo and will notify this group of how the oil problem and another issue resolves.

Despite the sale of a CPO being as-is and the engine inspection not checking cylinder compression, my case and possible others like it may alert Volvo to the need for more thorough inspection criteria.
    On the CPO Inspection Form, it says if they obtain the car without service documentation, they're supposed to do a compression test....did you notice that? That might be your cudgel -- demand to see proof of service history for the car they sold you, and if "none available", demand they finish the missing CPO item, then furnish your copy of the report. If they balk, you can escalate to Volvo USA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast