Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Push button start issues

I picked up this 08 XC70 for my commuter in the fall. Now with 95,000 km. Third Volvo I have owned. I am just working out any bugs. Replaced a failed belt tensioner and idler last week.

Next problem in the making is intermittent start with the push button. Now and then, car will not turn over with key in slot. Remove and turn the key over or use second fob and will/may turn over. Very intermittent. Could be batteries in the fob but no codes coming from car. I will change them anyway. Has not left me stranded.

In other posts, I have read that there is known problem with steering column lock. Not sure if this problem is symptom of same. The key is not locking in the slot and have had no problem extracting it. Almost seems like the ignition is having difficulty recognizing the key.

Anybody got any preventative maintenance suggestions?

thanks
    Steve

The brake pedal switch could be going flaky. Monitor your brakelights pre-startup to make sure the system thinks the brake pedal is being pressed.

Without pressing the brake pedal, does a press of the Start button at least power up accessories? If not, that localizes the problem to the key fob or fob receiver.

Cleaned battery posts and worked better for awhile but problem back. Brake lights are being activated both with the pedal and manually on the brake light switch. No accessories come on with just a press of the start button. I can go now from no start with any key in any position to multiple starts with either key and back to no start again. Can't take the car anywhere like this.

Once started, there is now a clicking into the gear shifter when you apply the brakes. only in park. in gear there is none. I now suspect something with the shifter not allowing a start. But then the accessories should work.

Is it the case that, when the car CAN be started, the key fob slot works exactly as expected?....the fob port responds to the fob push-in by locking it in place, and after the car is shut down, it releases the fob with a push-in? And, when the car won't start, the fob port acts like it doesn't even sense the presence of the fob, by not locking it in place?

If that's the behavior, then there's an intermittent problem with the key fob receiver....it's not sensing the presence of the key fob. It could be radio interference from a stronger signal in the environment. One way to test this hunch is to use a stainless steel sauce pan as a radio wave concentrator....as you insert the key fob, enshroud it with the saucepan to amplify its radio signal and attenuate any stray signals. If this works, take the car to another location and test.

Or, is it possible that the key fob port uses a mechanical switch to sense the fob push-in, and this is what fails intermittently? I can't think of any way to test this other than to replace the key fob port.

Thanks for your help.

Yes - when the car can be started it acts exactly as expected. When it cant be started it acts like it does not recognize the key. it still pulls it into the slot but no more. there is no problem it seems with the motor that pulls the key in and rejects it. when the car wont start, the fob port does lock it into place, but can easily be removed normally.

when it doesn't start, I can flip the key over and sometimes it does, or use the other fob, sometimes it does. Changing batteries in fob no difference.

I live in country so I don't see radio interference the issue but will give it a try in other location

I suspect replacing the key fob port is not a DIY as likely needs some sort of programming?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
    I suspect replacing the key fob port is not a DIY as likely needs some sort of programming?
    I have had to replace several "start control units" or "ignition switches" (the slot and button you are having problems with and referring to) over the years (well, since 2008 the first year with the slot) due to erratic operation. And yes unfortunately a download is required to make the new ignition switch talk to the CEM. You could replace the switch yourself but the car would have to be towed to someone who has a vida subscription, such as a dealer or a large independent shop to download the software and make the car start again.
    Last edited by hoonk; 05-02-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Once started, there is now a clicking into the gear shifter when you apply the brakes. only in park. in gear there is none.
    That click is normal - it is the shift lockout solenoid moving after you start the car and step on the brake pedal - so you can shift out of park. That also tells you the brake light switch is working, since that is what is used to trigger the solenoid.

The clicking just started. Maybe it was always there but now certainly louder.

This may help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Power_modes.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	8967

Take care

Paul

The clicking just started. Maybe it was always there but now certainly louder.
    You may not have noticed it before - Normal starting is step on the brake, push the button to start the car (the click would happen while or immediately after the car started) then keep your foot on the brake and shift into gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast