Default towing with 2012 or newer XC70

I'm looking at buying a '12 or newer T6 after test driving one.
    I've looked at an Volvo XC70 owners manual online; it recommends not travelling any faster than 80 kms/hr while towing a trailer.
    What's up with that? Is it a tranny cooling issue, or a trailer stability problem?
    Thanks

I have a '13 T6 and love driving it. But, I wouldn't choose it as a vehicle to pull a trailer. The 300 h.p. engine would be OK, but the tranny is not really designed
    for pulling a trailer.

Pulling a trailer ages the tranny fluid much more rapidly. You'll want to change the tranny fluid every 50,000 km (30K miles).
    The transmission control unit (TCU) software does NOT sense that a trailer is being pulled, and doesn't adapt the gear-shift algorithm.
    80 km/h max ??? I have no idea what that is based on. At face value, it suggests that Volvo engineers didn't design the car as a trailer-hauler.
    Could it be safety-related? Possibly.

Another factor is that the steel frame of the car ends at the rear axle. I'd get some expert advice on the trailer hitch system, specifically,
    what would be the maximum trailer weight. Keep also in mind that, unlike a truck (e.g. Ford F-150) with rear wheel drive, the Volvo AWD is
    mostly a FWD car. 90% of the "pull" is done by the front wheels. So, when you tow a trailer, you are constantly applying a stretching force to the XC70.

I hope you get comments from P3 XC70 owners who use the T6 to pull a trailer.
    Last edited by pbierre; 04-05-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks for that. What does your owners manual have to say on the matter? I loved driving the t6, but neglected to look through the manual while at the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrey View Post
    Thanks for that. What does your owners manual have to say on the matter? I loved driving the t6, but neglected to look through the manual while at the dealer.
    All the Volvo Owner's Manuals going back 1965 are posted here:

https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/own...owners-manuals