Default HID or LED Bulb Conversion Question

Has anyone successfully replaced their lo and hi beam halogen headlight bulbs with either HID or LED bulbs? By successfully I mean properly fitting them inside the headlamp housing without any issues. If so can you share how - HID or LED bulb brand and source, picture of the back side with dust covers, how long has it been in place, etc. I am aware that you will need to drill a hole on the dust cover to accommodate the ballast wires (for HID) or the driver wires (for LED). I tried this last year with an LED but the base of the bulb was a bit long and pushing on the dust cover. So I set the project aside.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!
    04 Volvo XC70 5LT 143k "Floatey" Ruby Red, Valvoline 0W40
    07 Honda Accord V6 120k Silver, Napa 5W20 Blend
    07 Honda Accord L4 130k Bronze, Napa 5W20 Blend

I fitted HID to the low beams, H7 bulbs, good quality product but the light pattern was useless, it light up trees perfectly but the road was neglected, removed them and returned the system, even the error code cancelers did not stop a light out message from appearing in the message window. After waiting a year the LED replacements sounded promising, wasted more money on those too, the light output was best described as feeble and less than the Halogen H7 as standard equipment, the LED fan allowed the headlamp to collect moisture and in winter use the lack of bulb heat let the ice build up on the lenses and reduced the already feeble output even further. I gave up on the idea!, would also like to know if anyone has had any success with LED's or HID's upgrades.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 03-31-2019 at 08:41 PM.

What is the motive for converting? The halogen is a mature design -- good beam power and shape -- integrated with computer for bulb burn-out detection.

I have DDM Tuning 6000k Standard HIDs on my other cars and the light dispersion is excellent. It lights up the road just enough without being too bright. I have tried their Ultra HIDs but the dispersion is terrible. My motivation is for much better lighting at night.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!
    04 Volvo XC70 5LT 143k "Floatey" Ruby Red, Valvoline 0W40
    07 Honda Accord V6 120k Silver, Napa 5W20 Blend
    07 Honda Accord L4 130k Bronze, Napa 5W20 Blend

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    What is the motive for converting? The halogen is a mature design -- good beam power and shape -- integrated with computer for bulb burn-out detection.
    That, and the HID and LED retrofits are all crap AND illegal. You pay money to see less and blind/annoy other people. They're a safety device, just like brakes, but nobody says "here, use these Chinesium cheap pads and rotors, they're so much better".

This short interview partially covers the subject;
    https://drivingintherealworld.com/pa...-daniel-stern/

On my wifes 2006 XC, these LED bulbs fit inside the housing, sealed with the OEM caps, and are very effective with little or no "overshine" into oncoming traffic: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I selected this bulb because of its size and specifically because of the fan (to circulate the heat and keep the housing dry). I was afraid that the fanless bulb heatsink might melt the housing or back cover. The linked bulbs have about 1/4" clearance between the back of the bulb and the housing cover.

And the wife is much happier at night (and the car actually looks much better in the daytime).

I don't know how these will work in pre-05 XC housing - I do know they are too big for my 2004 V70 glass-lensed housing with the hard-plastic caps (I measured).

FWIW these have the LEDs in the 3/9 o'clock positions so the light dispersal is more or less the same as a halogen bulb (e.g., less direct light to the bottom reflector, which is why you get a lot of glare with some refits).

EDIT: and to my surprise only 2 instances of "bulb out" - both in the first week of install. The last 5 or more months have been error-message-less. The fix for the error message was also to turn off, then back on (I have programmed the light for a true off using VIDA).
    Last edited by user17600; 04-05-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    ---
    '04 AWD
    '05 XC (totaled in a rear end collision; RIP)
    '06 XC