Default Cruise not working & Security System Service Required indicator

For years the cruise will turn on and set speed then within a minute or two the control of speed just stops as if I canceled. The cruise light will stay on but will not resume. If I turn cruise off and then back on it will not set. After a few more minutes the cruise will not illuminate, even if I shut down and restart.

Some time back I saw a post (somewhere???) with pictures on how to remove the security sensor from the right front wheel well, front plastic shield, drill out big rivet, cut with dremmel tool the plastic box/security device and install a new disk battery - "if" the internals weren't corroded. I'd like to get the cruise working again and can't find the info. Searched resources and this forum with no luck.

Any help appreciated.
    "01" XC70, Polar Blue Metallic, Oak Leather, no 3rd seat, wife's ride.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

The Siren Module is located there. Not really a sensor, it's a horn that goes off if the anti-theft is triggered. It's got its own battery, so that it will still work if the thief cuts the battery...

It's a box about 3" on a side. Take it apart and you can see the failed battery. If you're lucky, you can solder a new one in place. If you're unlucky (and I have been every time I've pulled one out), and the board is corroded, then you need a new one. About $200 from the on-line places like IPD or FCP.

I don't know how it would affect cruise control, my cruise worked even when the siren was bad, but since everything is on a CANBUS, I guess it's possible...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Astro14, thanks for reply. The post I referred to mentioned the cruise was tied into (didn't make sense to me, but...) the alarm system. Maybe I'll give it a whirl this weekend. I would think a "new" unit would have to be programed in order to work? Or are you referring to just the board?
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
    For years the cruise will turn on and set speed then within a minute or two the control of speed just stops as if I canceled. The cruise light will stay on but will not resume. If I turn cruise off and then back on it will not set. After a few more minutes the cruise will not illuminate, even if I shut down and restart.

Some time back I saw a post (somewhere???) with pictures on how to remove the security sensor from the right front wheel well, front plastic shield, drill out big rivet, cut with dremmel tool the plastic box/security device and install a new disk battery - "if" the internals weren't corroded. I'd like to get the cruise working again and can't find the info. Searched resources and this forum with no luck.

Any help appreciated.
    Exactly how my 02's cruise operated because of a corroded, cracked tone ring. No Security system warning though as it had its alarm battery replaced prior to the cruise issue. my 04 had a new alarm unit installed with no reprogram needed.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 03-18-2019 at 05:15 PM.

AKAMick, Cracked tone ring where? Never hurts to check. Thanks

Tone rings are located on the outer CV axles behind the front hubs, they send a speed signal to the speed sensor in the hub, if they are cracked the signal is inconsistent and the cruise will not stay engaged, also anti lock brake warnings sometimes being displayed in the warning window. The relevant front hub needs to be removed to replace the offending tone ring. The hub speed sensor itself could be the problem.

Thanks, will inspect both front rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post

Any help appreciated.
    These aren't the exact symptoms I had but my cruise control was working intermittently and after reading codes it turned out to be the brake pedal position sensor on the brake booster. I was able to take it apart and fix it but it's a little tricky and with some risk so replacement might be a better option (if this is the problem). I did have a code stored although I don't recall what the number was but it was related to this sensor.