Thread: two new tires

Question two new tires

Its time to replace the front tires on a MY04 XC70. There’s still a decent amount of rubber on the back tires. I currently have the Michelin Premier LTX. The didn’t last as long as I had hoped. Shopping at tire rack, I am thinking of switching to the Continental TrueContact Tour or the Michelin Defender T+H.

Is it safe to have different make/model till its time to replace the other two?

check your owner's manual. The early AWD systems ('01, '02,...) were non-Haldex and supposedly susceptible to differences in tread depth and wear. This could put extra strain on the AWD system and possibly do damage. This was well-noted in my 02 V70XC owner's manual.

Whether in the real world differences in tire sizes, tread depth or wear actually impact AWD function I can't say; I've never tried it. Your MY04 may have Haldex so maybe it won't be an issue in your case but you should see some warning in your manual if it is!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

MY04 does not have this haldex requirement like the 02s. Maybe I’ll just throw another pair of ltx on till its time to replace all 4.

I suppose this is obvious but the fact that the front are worn to this point but the rears are not and you didnt get the life you expected -
    One would argue you didnt rotate often enough. That certainly would of improved the overall lifespan of the set but then you're buying all 4 at once.

Have you considered buying a pair of used Michelin Premier LTXs? You can specify the tread thickness you want on these tires. I believe they come recycled from tire shops and salvage yards.