Default 2005 XC90 T6 Angle gear and chain drive removal

Hello everyone,

I have transmission fluid mixed with chain drive oil and would like to reseal the chain drive. I have searched online for the removal of both (chain drive and angle gear) but could only find a transmission removal video on you tube.
    I was wondering if the cross member and the steering rack has to be removed in order to remove both units? or it can be done with the cross member and steering rack in place?

This is on a 2005 XC90 T6 2.9L.

Thank you in advance!

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Charle View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have transmission fluid mixed with chain drive oil and would like to reseal the chain drive. I have searched online for the removal of both (chain drive and angle gear) but could only find a transmission removal video on you tube.
    I was wondering if the cross member and the steering rack has to be removed in order to remove both units? or it can be done with the cross member and steering rack in place?

This is on a 2005 XC90 T6 2.9L.

Thank you in advance!

Charles
    The only "chain" in the transmission/angle drive area transfers power from the torque converter to the transmission. It is inside the transmission lubricated by transmission fluid. The angle drive has it's own oil supply (but is high viscosity to lubricate the bevel gears in the angle drive) Is this the "chain" you are referring too?

To remove the transmission (without the engine) the engine must be supported from the top (I always used the Volvo tools, it took extra tool extensions to fit an xc90 versus s70, v70, s60 etc.) and the subframe must be loosened or removed. Usually the guys would just take the entire subframe off, with steering rack attached to be able to get trans out easily. Careful putting things back, the seal in the floorboard for the steering column always gets pushed out, and creates a noise when driving afterward.

This utube video is a tear down of a t65 trans - about 26 minutes in you will see the "chains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b8-8FxNvTc

The transmissions used the the t6 are very prone to failure, my 2004 lasted 22k miles before it started slipping (was replaced under warranty), and a friend who still has his t6 has replaced his transmission 3 times and drives very gently.

On your 14 year old car I'm pretty sure the cost of a transmission rebuild well exceeds the value of the vehicle -

Hi Hoonk and thank you for your reply!
    This is from a website i found:
    XC90 T6 cars use a Chain Gear to transfer torque from the transmission to the angle gear. Oil leakage from the chain gear can be resolved by replacing
    seals and gaskets. The chain gear itself does not normally need to be replaced.
    This chain gear housing is bolted to the side of the transmission . I am sorry i don't know how to download pictures here. Anyway i called a friend and he said the sub-frame has to be removed.
    Thanks again!

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the chain in the transmission - The angle gear which includes a chain (only) on the t-6 is resealable without transmission removal.

Here's one taken apart with repair instructions

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-fix-...-t6-angle-gear

I will check when I get access to VIDA later today what has to be removed to get the angle drive out of a t6

No worries Hoonk i really appreciate your help as always!