Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C Weirdness

Default A/C Weirdness

Turned on the engine of my 2000 XC70 tonight and the car started... however, the air conditioning and air recirculating on/off buttons on the dash both flashed green, then orange, then green, then orange, etc. for about 15 seconds and then went to green (where they're supposed to be)... BUT the A/C didn't come on and the fan wouldn't turn on when I took it off auto. Zip. Ziltch. Nothing, no matter how many times I pressed the buttons, wiggled the fan speed slide, etc. No noise from behind the dash, no cold air, etc.

Finally, I turned the engine off, counted to 10, and turned it back on. A/C and fan worked fine the rest of the trip; lights stayed green all the way.

Has anyone experienced this problem or even had the A/C and recirc. lights flash like mine did? Is this a one-shot or am I looking at trouble down the road? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

How many miles on the car ? Could be a pinch wiring harness under engine if engine mounts have started to collapse. My '86 Volvo did something like this every time I hit a bump in the road and it was traced to a pinched wiring harness.

Just my 2cents worth.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

I know this is going to sound off topic but bear with me.

I had to talk to a Volvo tech the other day about my 04 XC with 3200 mi.s. I had started the car put it in reverse. The transmission BANGED into gear and then backed out of the driveway. Putting it into Drive - another bang - then the car barely moved forward like a manual with the clutch still halfway engaged. I pull over turned off the ignition and called for help. Volvo connected me to the nearest dealer whose first question was "How many miles on it?".

I turned on the ignition to see and everything worked fine again. The tech who was still on the phone said, "that'll happen, sometimes like a computer it doesn't boot up correctly so you have to reset the system by turning off the ignition and then back on.

My wife's 1999 BMW once had a similar weird anomaly that was solved by a restart.

I relate this only because you say the problem started right after ignition. Other than that I'm of no help what-so-ever. ;-)

Ed
    07 XC - Ruby Red/Taupe/Touring, Climate & Prem. pkgs

Thanks for the thoughts.

The car has 81K. Maybe this was a one-shot and won't happen again. <fingers crossed>

If it does, I'll be sure they check the engine mounts & wiring harness along with "the usual suspects."

Quote Originally Posted by cetaft
    however, the air conditioning and air recirculating on/off buttons on the dash both flashed green, then orange, then green, then orange, etc. for about 15 seconds and then went to green (where they're supposed to be)
    Thanks.
    Hi Cetaft,

Could it be a stuck A/C recirculating or A/C button causing this?
    My HU-803 buttons has stuck a few times, turning the radio on and off.
    As well as a stuck Channel selection knob, selecting the channels back and forth, back and forth....

Just a thought.
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

Default AC/Fan Issues

Having had the same issue there are a whole host of things it's could be:
    Resistor
    Fan motor
    Fuse
    Wiring/Connections
    The irritating part is that it is random...one day the fan works the next you get a brief but loud "roar" from the fan when you start and then the dreaded flashing lights, followed by no fan. By the way, in my case the AC still works...you just can't tell because there is no fan but I can still hear the compressor and feel some small amount of cold air from the vents. I have found that some times it will start by just restarting the engine and other times I may go for days before it will work again. My mechanic and I are still working on a solution having ruled out the fan motor and the resistor. We do know that your can fix it evey time by pulling out one of the fuses (I can't remember which one but it's the second from the bottom in the 1999 fuse box.) and simply reseating it. That always works to get it going again. I was over 8 weeks ago that it happened to me and is still working fine but I would love to find the offending part and get it fixed once and for all. That would probably be easier to do if it just broke and stayed broken!! Good luck.

PS you can check out my other posting threads on this in the 1st gen board.
    Tom
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

... the air conditioning and air recirculating on/off buttons on the dash both flashed green, then orange, then green, then orange, etc. for about 15 seconds and then went to green...
    Yup - happened to me about a month ago - hasn't happened since. It was kinda colorful though. I did what others have suggested - turn off car and restart. I'm also experiencing the fan motor gremlin (noise), and I'm glad to see Tom's (tgrumaj) reply about reseating the fuse. I apologize for not having a solution. Don't feel that you're the only one with this "bug". I agree that it can be frustrating.
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC
    (Somewhere on the Space Coast)

2000 V70 SE Cross Country
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 (in Blazer Heaven)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Thanks. It sure is frustrating.

Last week, I had the car up to a local dealer to replace a seatbelt clasp. They looked at the fan/noise/etc. and said I needed a new fan (for $350 or so). I declined, and figure the intermittent noise is going to have to get much worse first.

I had another non-start for the fan today. (Yes, turning the car off and on resolved it.) I made an appointment with another local dealer for this Saturday, and I'm going to have them check the fan, wiring, fuse, etc. and hook the car up to the Volvo BatScope to see if it detects anything.

Default H/AC Fan Problem

Charles,
    Keep me posted on what you find. I am taking mine back Friday to my Indy mech. as it's started again for me and the "fuse trick" isn't working!!! The bad news is that it gets worse and worse (more and more fequent as time goes on). I'll post back on Monday whatever we find as well. I really don't believe it's the fan itself. 1) The fan starts for about 1 or two seconds whenever this occurs...so the fan does run but just briefly. 2) My mech. put a good fan in to replace the one I had about two months ago and the problem still occurred with the new, good fan. Likewise when he put in a new resistor. Thus ruling out those two pieces as the core of the problem. I'm more included to think it's something to do with the wiring or fuses or a connector. Oh, we also replaced a temp sensor and that didn't fix it either.
    Back to the drawing board!!!
    Tom
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Question How Weird

As most people talk about something it seems to happen to me. I hope nobody starts about finding their car gone one morning

Well as somebody started to talk about it, it happened to me. Summer here is (last week and next) reminds me of that little bit of land on top of the National Glacier Park, WA where Summer comes for a few weeks and all the life has to proform life before the snow comes in five weeks time. Sorry, I digressed, on Monday I went out, short run around the block, a/c cranked down to v cold. Parked up, turned the radio down, turned the engine off, just one turn so as to leave the power to the phone. The a/c was on auto and a little blowing to hear on the phone so I turned the dial down until I had three green lights showing. Finished the call, withdrew the key and left the car.

I returned to the car about 30 minutes late and heard the fan going on the car as if the engine was still trying to cool itself down. Opened the door and found the a/c was still running, the air was warm as it was taking it from the outside and not cooling it. I turned off the knob and the a/c stopped. Turned it back on and it was 'dead' as it should be.

I tried to do this again but it will not play ball so it must be put down to one of those weird things, I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast