Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Subi Vrs Xc70

I've sat in the new OB and as a tall man can say no thanks. In the OB I was literally scrunching down to look under the windshield. The XC is built with a spacious and luxury interior that fits tall people GREAT and sorry OB guys...the XC way way nicer interior, fit and finish is a class act.

Am I biased? ....and I paid less than you.

Deccher,
    I work in Meridian. Idaho rocks. I brought my raft to work today and were hitting the S.F. of the Payette after work. Off at 5, on the water by 6,float 3 hours through class 3-4's and home in bed by 11p.Lifes good !
    Know it all,
    I guess you do know it all,no offence. My advice, go drive one. I take it you haven't. I have a friend thats a major BMW enthusiast and he told me some BMW mag reviewed the new subi and LOVED it.
    Costal,
    Thanks for the pics ! Mine is white with almost a opal pearl ( dominate blue)
    in it with graphite bottom, same pearl. I just tinted all windows w/3m 20% sliver in it. ohh it looks good.
    You hit it on the head, save your opinion till youve driven one. I did.
    do go drive one..
    Bird dog,
    Thoughtless Thrill seeker ?whatever..you must be ALOT older than I and your synapse's dont fire quite as quick as they used to. Like I said " I NEVER ONCE FELT LIKE I WAS PUSHING THE CAR " Maby you should check Consumer Reports and outhers on "JUST WHO HAS THE BEST CRASH TEST RESULTS" I think your unimformed closed guided mind might have a diff. opinion. Go ahead I dare ya. Imagine that.
    I know im a gunni pig with this new model but with my past experiences I hope ill be ok. I was also concerned on repair/maintiance costs Subi vrs Volvo. Alot of people get hurt by air bags and the bag deployment system in this car was a big selling point over the xc. Its even off when no ones in the front seat. I was rear ended in my Yukon once by a Ford f150 at 30.The driver got hit by the bag with glasses on and was a bloody racoon.
    IMO Volvo has not kept up with the new advancments on some cars with the xc. The XC comes with a Cassette std ? What age group do you think there going after with that. Folks that dont really keep up with new tech..
    (my Youkon has one also )
    check out this link..and do your own comparrison..
    http://www.subiegal.com/images/event...barulegacy.htm

XC70 comes with both a cassette and a CD player as standard. While most people don't buy cassettes anymore, it is useful to me for two reasons. First, it is an easy way to adapt other audio devices like an iPod or an external CD player to the stereo. Second, it allows me to listen to audiobooks on my commute, something I really like to do.

I didn't look at the new Subaru, but there were some serious differences between the prior model and the XC70 that led my wife and I to purchase an XC70. Comfort in each car was barely comparable. And, while the cubic feet of storage might be similar, I felt that the shape of the trunk area was not as useful in the Subaru.
    A Volvo with some stuff in it

I plug my laptop into it so the kids can watch dvd's on trips. My kids love it when I crank up the THX "YEAROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM" !!
    with 2- 12's, 2 -8's,4 -6 1/2's, 4-tweets, and 2 4x10's above the rear doors and 1000 watts of pure exciting entertainment.

Default subaru

Now that you are the PROUD owner of your 05 outback the only thing I have in common with you is we both can purchase IPD products.
    If you want to argue about who's car is better I think you would be better suited somewhere else.
    Not asking you to leave or anything but you can post till Lance comes over to visit and you will not prove whatever point you are trying to make.
    Also come trade in time (or sell on your own ), the market price for your car will be dictated partly by the Base price.
    Like it was stated before.....it's a 22k car with alot of options ( CD ) that in the end will not save your life.
    Close a door on a volvo then try it on your car.....Sweedish Tank ?Tin Can.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Needed the cargo space

IDAHDOO,

My initial reaction after reading your first post was, “Wow, this guy has a lot of moxy!” Then I thought, ‘Hey, he’s really no different than any of us, after all I was just as pumped the day we took delivery of our new XC...still am proud to say that after 3.5 + years of ownership.” I’m happy to hear that you love your new Outback too...seriously!

There’s no doubt, in my mind, Subaru has made many refinements to an already solid vehicle. That said, when it came time to shop around for a wagon that met our needs, we didn’t have to look any further than the XC. As avid kayakers, we needed every cubic inch of cargo space available. We knew from the outset that the Outback’s cargo hold was just too tight and likely wouldn’t have accommodated all of our paddling gear. The XC, on the other hand, does it with ease and we find that there’s even ample space to comfortably fit a full size thermal electric cooler that we use for our trip meals. At the time, it also appeared that the roof line of the Outback seemed a bit too narrow to haul around two full width seakayaks, but I’m certain that I'll receive some debate from you on that one. With a few slight modifications, I find that I can also stow a full size 17" wheel in the XC’s spare tire compartment. I guess we can go on comparing which car has what and where, but ultimately it comes down to finding the vehicle that best suits your personal needs and activities. In our case, the XC just happened to be it. FWIW, here are some measurement numbers for the cargo holds based on a 2005 Outback and my own 2001 XC wagon.

2005 Subaru Outback
    A: 39" wide lower gate opening
    B: 43" wide mid-gate opening
    C: 48" wide top of wheel wells
    D: 42.25" wide between wheel wells
    E: 33.50 " height opening at gate
    F: 29-31" interior height
    G: 43" length with seat folded up
    H: 73" length with seat folded flat
    Cargo Volume (Seats up) 32.1 cu.ft.
    Cargo Volume (Seats flat) 61.7 cu. ft.

2001 Volvo V70XC
    A: 47" wide lower gate opening
    B: 44.5" wide mid-gate opening
    C: 55" wide top of wheel wells
    D: 44.5" wide between wheel wells
    E: 30.5" height opening at gate
    F: 31.5" interior height
    G: 42" length with seat folded up
    H: 67" length with seat folded flat
    Cargo Volume (Seats up) 37.5 cu.ft.
    Cargo Volume (Seats flat) 71.5 cu.ft.

A week's worth of paddling gear and food that gets swallowed up by the XC. Note: Not included is a full size Coleman cooler and our own personal luggage.

Happy Trails to you!

Dont get me wrong here guys, I love the XC also, always have. My wife too.I easily could have went the outher way. I prefer the look of the "R" because I dont like the look of raw plastic fenders/grill. I would have had to have them painted and a roof rack would not do that car justic. The performance of the R was more of what I was looking for but just couldn't justify driving a 45-50k wagon. Id rather drive my Yukon and buy a smaller sports car. Please, just for fun go drive one of the XT LIMITED'S you'll see why I spending so much time here. After driving both cars several times I drove the Roo onto the Volvos lot, my wife got out and into the XC and we left with both cars.We traded off many times. I think we had both cars for about 4 hours. I left the decision up to her. ( I knew witch one I wanted ) Weve wanted an XC for 4 years now. This is not your average woman driver shes a very professional woman.A "gass passer" Or at least thats what I like to call her.haha.Nurse anestitist. (sp?) Raced mountain bikes for 5 years,tele skier,snowboarder,mtn snowmobiler ( handles a 700 mod rotax w/150hp very well) ,runner,xc skater, etc.. shes a very compentent person and a great driver to boot. SHE chose the roo and it was the hardest thing shes done in a while. But she's glad she did it now. I know, I asked myself many times how can I be comparing a Subaru with a Volvo ? Fact is, Volvo is just a little behind. ( did I just say that ? )

With both sides singin, "My dogs better than your dog...", I've been silently watching this thread unravel. Love is blind - Its time to politely thank IDAHOO for sharing his opinion and his joy on his newfound car and show him a link to a Subi forum.

Yeah Brethren, Let us all deeply inhale in that new car scent and glow within its bliss...cause its going to be awhile before the warden lets me ride that train again.

Amen
    07 XC - Ruby Red/Taupe/Touring, Climate & Prem. pkgs

Declining to debate any longer........please allow me:

http://www.forumsubaru.com
    Last edited by birddog; 07-28-2004 at 05:20 PM.
    '01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite Leather, Nokian WRs
    '09 XC70/Ice White/Sandstone Leather,VCOA

Aw, don't ruin his fun by showing him the Subaru forum. I've hung out in Subaru forums for a few years to keep up on maintenance and repair stuff for our Subaru. In the XC forum we talk about noisey OEM tires or a misaligned hatch that touches the bumper. Those Subaru guys talk about fried turbos, blown head gaskets, piston slap, and chattering clutches. Big difference in the issues owners seem to be having in the long run!

My wife and I actually stopped and looked at the new Subarus after 8 months of XC ownership. The salesman, who saw our car, said the new Subaru was aimed directly at the XC. I grinned and said, "they missed, didn't they." He grinned too, like "yup, you got me there." They had the full-tilt model and the $22K model both in the showroom. I asked him to describe the $11K difference between the two. No response.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast