Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Question Bike rack & hitch quandry

I have a 2002 XC70 and I would like to use a bike carrier to carry at least two (maybe more) bicycles. I have learned that I can not attach a Thule bike carrier to the rear window like I did with my Explorer. I contacted my Volvo dealer and they said they can install a hitch (2" receiver). But, they will need to cut 3 to 4 inches out of my bumper. Concerned about this, I contacted Hitch-web.com and they can sell me a hidden hitch with a 1 & 1/4" receiver that does not entail cutting the bumper.

Here are my questions:
    1) will all 2" receivers require a hole to be cut in the bumper?
    2) do I need a 2" receiver to support the weight of more than two bikes?
    3) does anyone know of a hitch installer in the New York City area if I decide to go with the hidden hitch (and probably limit myself to carrying two bikes)?

Thanks so much for any help/insight to my problem.

Default Bike rack

SKDAVIS,

Hey!....Are you sold on a hitch mounted rack?
    In my experence they are a drag. First and foremost they stick out WAY far behind the vehicle( have you seen one on a xc? )and being in NYC it's gotta suck to park w/it on car.
    Second, the cost is pretty high, installing a hitch and buying the bike mount.
    You already have half of what you need up on your roof having euro rails.
    All you need are cross bars volvo or thule and the bike rack itself.Also now volvo is giving cash back for certain accessories, Bike racks & cross bars too! Call your volvo dealer's parts dept and they have the paperwork to get the refund I THINK it is good until Aug 16th not sure.
    Any way .....just my 70 cents......Cheers!

Default Volvo 2" hitch

This is the Volvo 2" receiver:

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DAVE/LOCALS%7E1/TEMP/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]

It integrates well with the bumper; the 'cut' is just in plastic and probably takes 5 min. with the right tool; it allows the hitch to hang only 1" below the bumper. If you did not cut anything, you would loose 2" minimum at the bumper.

This is the hitch with my bike rack (2-bike):
    [img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DAVE/LOCALS%7E1/TEMP/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]

I would imagine that a 2" hitch would be highly advised for a 4-bike carrier. Better check total weight on hitch. Also with a bike rack and 4 bikes there is a substantial lever arm on the hitch. With two bikes on my hitch plus luggage and two people there is a bit less stability in crosswinds (I think), although I have only one trip like that to judge.

Maybe consider carrying two bikes on the roof plus two on the hitch?

Cheers,
    Dave

Thank you for your message. I am a female and although I work out, I don't feel I have the height or the strength to manage lifting my bike up to and down from a roof rack without damaging the car. In addition, I park my car in the garage in my apartment building and I do not have the necessary clearance to put a bike on the roof; I'd have to do it in the street and sometimes I come home late at night after biking near the beaches. I would not feel safe fiddling around trying to get the bike off the rack. Still, thank you for your suggestions.

Thank you for your time. How can I view your photos? Upon reading the specs that the local Volvo dealer faxed me, it stated that the license plate will have to be "relocated". I don't understand why since it is attached to my back door (hatch). Was your license plate moved? Also, they mentioned that I will need an intermediary piece that goes between the receiver and a bike rack. Was this the case for you? Thank you so much for your help.

Default Interior Bike Holder

My 2002 Volvo Accessories catalog shows an interior bike holder.
    http://www.volvocars.us/Showroom/XC7...nsAccessories/
    02 XC Black/Taupe Premium Package, Nokian WR G2 235/60-16
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 - fulfills desire for manual shifting

Thank you for your message. I will explore the interior bike holder as a possible alternative to a rear bike rack. Again, thanks!

If you decide against the interior mount:

Member Saabstory had a good post with pictures of an install of a Draw-Tite hitch. Since you have checked the same place he bought it, you probably have seen it. The hitch is just below the bumper cover.

The install is pretty easy. By the way, I found the same hitch at a much lower price at etrailer.com.

Default XC70 hitch

Quote Originally Posted by skdavis
    Thank you for your message. I am a female and although I work out, I don't feel I have the height or the strength to manage lifting my bike up to and down from a roof rack without damaging the car. In addition, I park my car in the garage in my apartment building and I do not have the necessary clearance to put a bike on the roof; I'd have to do it in the street and sometimes
    I also like the Volvo hitch because it does not compromise rear ground clearance much. If that is not an issue, then the aftermarket hitches are very nice also and much less expensive. The license plate does NOT have to be moved in my area (CA, USA), in practice at least. State laws may say the plate needs to be visible and it may be partially blocked by a rear bike rack, but I've never seen anyone in this state with a relocated plate, and I have never been stopped in many years of using a rear bike rack.

I like rear hitch bike racks because of height issue (car will not go in my garage with bikes on the roof), the bikes are not exposed to the airstream directly, and they are quicker to get bikes loaded. The types of rear racks that clamp on the bike tires are VERY quick loading compared to the less-expensive frame-hanging rear racks.

I have this rack: very nice and exceptional quality. Expensive, but we plan to use it many years and with future vehicles we may own:
    http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

Cheers, Dave

Thumbs up I like mine the way it is

I like my hitch setup the way it is and it was for one reason only that I decided to have the visible one installed as against the hidden one, which I prefer.

The reason for the standout one was for the fact that if I get rear-ended I hope the ball will take a lot of the impact on collision. It has helped in the parking lot when people cannot guage the distance they are from me and have had some 'nudges' stopped by the ball and not the fender, maybe saving some paintwork.

I am not going to post my bike carrier again but if you want, you can see it in my gallery. I have tried to show how versitile it is whne loaded and when not in use it can be stored on the boot with the cargo cover expanded.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast