Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hello to all XC'ers

Hi all,

New here on the board. Bought my fourth Volvo (6th in the family) about a month ago after having an horrific accident in my mother's E28 BMW.

I am now the proud owner of a white 2001 XC70. She lives alongside my dad's 1999 V70XC (also white) and my mother's white Peugeot 605.

My previous two cars were Peugeot 605, and before that I had a Volvo 245L, 244GLE, and 240GL as well as a Renault 25 and Rover SD1 (3500SE).
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

2001 Volvo XC70 (PJ-810)
    2007 Volvo XC70
    2001 BMW 530i Touring MSport

Past:
    1987 240GL
    1982 244GLE
    1978 245L (Manual)
    and: 1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 1995 Peugeot 605SV

Hi,
    Welcome, I did not know you could buy Renaults or Peugeots in Australia !!!
    I think white is a great color for XC's

Cheers
    Mine:Volvo XC70 D5 Geartronic, MY2005.
    Lava sand,Nav&TV,Integrated GSM, OnCall/SOS,
    3rd row, Rem. TowBar, DSTC, Bi-Xenon, Winter Pack
    Premium Sound Audio System HU850

Hers:Volvo V40 1.8 Petrol Auto, MY1998, 130Kmiles and still driving beautifully.

[quote=PJ810;76457]Hi all,

I am now the proud owner of a white 2001 XC70.

quote]

My condolences , err congratulations Check your tranny fluid and if the slightest bit dirty, CHANGE IT ASAP!

Yes, we have Peugeot and Renault down under. Peugeot is doing quite well, Renault is imported on an "on and off" basis. However, I owned my R25 when living in Europe for 6 months. My 605 Peugeot is the rarest of Pugs in Australia. Only 49 have ever been officially imported into the country.

I noticed other comments on the board re 2001 model XC. Why/how is this model less desirable and what should I be aware of? I have fully documented service history (not just stamped, but full printout of everything that's ever been done) and have just thrown AU$6,400 at it to make sure all is perfect.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

2001 Volvo XC70 (PJ-810)
    2007 Volvo XC70
    2001 BMW 530i Touring MSport

Past:
    1987 240GL
    1982 244GLE
    1978 245L (Manual)
    and: 1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 1995 Peugeot 605SV

Quote Originally Posted by PJ810 View Post
    Yes, we have Peugeot and Renault down under. Peugeot is doing quite well, Renault is imported on an "on and off" basis. However, I owned my R25 when living in Europe for 6 months. My 605 Peugeot is the rarest of Pugs in Australia. Only 49 have ever been officially imported into the country.

I noticed other comments on the board re 2001 model XC. Why/how is this model less desirable and what should I be aware of? I have fully documented service history (not just stamped, but full printout of everything that's ever been done) and have just thrown AU$6,400 at it to make sure all is perfect.
    Ostensibly 2001XCs have weaker transmissions and non-Heldex systems. The problem is that no one has any reliable statistics conserning the reliability of these particular production-year-car systems, which makes it quite impossible to truly know how extensive the problems are. I would venture to say that if these cars truly had problems, Volvo would have gotten sued by now in the United States, since our society is so bloody litigious. Think of ETM: There were enough mad Volvo owners that Volvo had to extend warranty on this particular module. Simply put, stop stessing and enjoy the car.

Ta-ta, janusz
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Quote Originally Posted by philosophicaldreamer View Post
    Ostensibly 2001XCs have weaker transmissions and non-Heldex systems. The problem is that no one has any reliable statistics conserning the reliability of these particular production-year-car systems, which makes it quite impossible to truly know how extensive the problems are. I would venture to say that if these cars truly had problems, Volvo would have gotten sued by now in the United States, since our society is so bloody litigious. Think of ETM: There were enough mad Volvo owners that Volvo had to extend warranty on this particular module. Simply put, stop stessing and enjoy the car.
    That's not exactly true. There WAS a lawsuit that led to a recall and 200K miles guarantee for the ETM here in the US.
    Why there hasn't been one for the bad ABS modules (from 95 thru 2001) is beyond me, same for the transmissions.
    2001's are a 1st model year car loaded with problems.
    Along with that they are the 2nd year for the 5 speed auto transmission.
    Many 2000's have failed but they were not in all the car AND...2001 had this failed little experiment called the stop neutral feature, guaranteed to blow a transmission to kingdom come if not removed by software.
    I would say at least 65% of all the 01 trannies have failed, at $3000 to $4500 a pop, not too comforting.
    You neglected to say how many miles are on your 01

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    That's not exactly true. There WAS a lawsuit that led to a recall and 200K miles guarantee for the ETM here in the US.
    Why there hasn't been one for the bad ABS modules (from 95 thru 2001) is beyond me, same for the transmissions.
    2001's are a 1st model year car loaded with problems.
    Along with that they are the 2nd year for the 5 speed auto transmission.
    Many 2000's have failed but they were not in all the car AND...2001 had this failed little experiment called the stop neutral feature, guaranteed to blow a transmission to kingdom come if not removed by software.
    I would say at least 65% of all the 01 trannies have failed, at $3000 to $4500 a pop, not too comforting.
    You neglected to say how many miles are on your 01
    I have no doubt that 2001 XCs have had greater share of their problems than their following years, even though my car with 70K miles has been perfect so far if we do not count the replacement of the steering fluid reservoir and the upper-engine mount. Anyway, I just cannot imagine that no one would have sued Volvo if they have had 65% failure rate of their transmissions. There are too many lawyers out there waiting for a next class-action suit. I do think, however, JRL that you are correct that one should stay away from 2001 and 2002 XCs. My next XC is going to be 2007, since Volvo must have addressed most of the P2 problems in 2007 version.

Ta-ta, janusz
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

02's are generally OK and MUCH better than 01's but still have the viscous coupling AWD's
    I had an 02 S60 AWD and thAT had Haldex.
    It was a very decent car with few problems.
    ALL upper torque mounts fail early, poor design.
    The latest design (05 and newer) seems to be a bit better (only took them 12 years to change it)!
    Last edited by JRL; 09-02-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    02's are generally OK and MUCH better than 01's but still have the viscous coupling AWD's
    I had an 02 S60 AWD and thAT had Haldex.
    It was a very decent car with few problems.
    ALL uppr torque mounts fail early, poor design.
    The latest design (05 and newer) seems to be a bit better (only took them 12 years to change it)!
    I guess this is what they mean by Volvo's conservatism: Slow to improve

Ta-ta, j.

I guess this is what they mean by Volvo's conservatism: Slow to improve
    Swedes are very stubborn people.....same as Japanese car makers.

Dave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast