Default mildew smell 7500 miles

I took the car in for service, complaining of mildew smell when using ac.
    They cleaned cowl and disinfected line.
    Fine for 5 miles, now it's back. They asked if I ran it through a drive through car wash--no, but they said the Volvo couldn't handle such a large amount of water and it causes problems.

Has anyone else experienced this? The smell is very distracting and tough on allergies.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Evap Core.

Iroll,

The root of the contaminates usually eminates from the evaporator core of your ventilation system. Do you know if they cleaned the core thoroughly? Dealer here uses this product though I've yet come across any unwanted odors in my own hvac system.

Default thanks

I appreciate your help. I'll take the car in with this print out.

Doesn't the XC70 run some air through the vents about an hour after the car is shut off to prevent problems like this?

It's also possible that a drainage line could be blocked, (assuming there is one).

Had a similar problem on an old Nissan, line was blocked and there must have been a quart of the most putrid water you've ever seen in a car.
    2004 XC70 - Metallic Crystal Green/Touring/Versatility/Nav

Default Mildew Smell

I sometimes noticed a smell when first starting the car with the A/C on, but when the drip pan started dripping on the passenger side last month the dealer cleared the A/C drain and sprayed an anti-fungal product on the condenser.

Problem hasn't come back yet
    2002 V70XC Glacier White --> 2004 XC70 Ice White

Our 99XC has the smell problem sometimes when turning on the air because that vintage did not have fan to clear the drain pan. Your model should have a fan that runs after your shut down the vehicle(you can hear it running) to evaporate the mositure left. We have no problem with the 03XC. As previously said , maybe a drain is blocked or the fan is not running after shutting down the vehicle. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

My fan comes on for a minute or so after something like 45 minutes, but I guess the duration isn't long enough for Louisiana humidity. Is this something that can be changed via VADIS?
    2002 V70XC Glacier White --> 2004 XC70 Ice White