Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Currency?

Default Imported post

We will be picking up our XC-90 later this month.  Would we be better to change our currency to euro's here in the US or in Sweden?  Should we purchase Euro travelers checks?  Can we use Credit cards most places?

Thank you
    XC90 2,5t FWD, OSD August 26th

Default Imported post

As far as I know Sweden and Norway are not on the Euro yet.
    Credit cards work for most restaurants and stores. Gas stations sometimes require a pin number, so be sure to have that with your cards. There are plenty of ATM machines to change money, check with your bank on fees they charge above the exchange rate. ATM and Visa worked great for me when I was there last March. Also carry more than one card, my friend traveling with me had his BofA Visa stopped because of unusual usage, would not hurt to let them know ahead of time that you will be traveling abroad. Enjoy your trip, the Swedish people are very nice!

Kersti
    '08 Oyster Gray XC70 DSTC Front/Rear Park Assist, Rear 12V.

Default Imported post

DON'T GET RIPPED OFF -- I'm not aware of what the rate is right now for euros and dollars, but when I was on my OSD trip, the dollar was CHEAP compared to the euro ( .7 euros for $1 !! ), which ended up costing me several hundred dollars of 'extra' spending. If the rate is good now (preferably 1 to 1) then exchange, but if it's bad, I'd wait, as I don't think it could get any worse.

P.S  -- Yes, Sweden and Norway don't use euros, so if you're just going there, then the rates aren't that bad, although they're worse than they were last year.

V70 2.5T Titanium Grey Metallic. Lthr + Climate pkg + Geartronic + Nav + Wood Steering

1600 Miles Gothenburg > Stockholm > Copenhagen > Cologne > Brussels > Bruges > Amsterdam

Default Imported post

Wait.  The currency markets expects a strengthening dollar right now for the Fall.  ITs floating pretty funny right now.  It was 1.15 last week, fell to 1.12 Monday afternoon, up to 1.14 to the Euro this morning.  I got as high as 1.21 (June 03) up from the most recent "low" of .98 in December 2002.  

I watch this stuff.... so, I'll forward the link to the currency news service when I receive my newsletter in the morning.  You can watch the market, then decide.  

If you wait, definately use your ATM card- the fees are small and the rate will be the "best" for the week.

DO NOT USE TRAVELLERS CHEQUES!!!! Period.
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

Use your plastic card whereever and whenever possible. I found that several of the gas stations never posted my gas purchases to my account which made the price of gasoline overall comparable to the US gas prices.

Seriously though, use plastic as you will get the best daily rates and this avoids losing cash etc. It is wise to obtain some cash for places that don't subscribe to plastic purchases, and ATMs can be used for this.

Kersti's advice is also sound about informing your card bank about your trip and spending spree

I used VISA, Debit card and AX without problems.

If you have local currency on hand on last day of your trip then simply empty your pocket(s) and ask hotel to subtract it from your bill. In this way you exit without having any local paper and/or coin currency. Don't worry at airport as they will take your plastic card for payment.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Imported post

Credit cards the way to go--but had to get gas at a station where the people were on vacation but the pumps took cash like a vending machine--good idea to always have 5 to 6 $100kronin bills on hand.  A tank of gas is 500 to 600 kronins.

I used credit card for almost everything except small shops, fast food, ice cream---
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Default Imported post

Here's the link to the daily newsletter:

http://www.xe.com/cus/

Check you credit card agreements to see what the conversion rate charge is.... they vary.

There is a lawsuit recently completed that will refund above-market service charges to customers of Visa and Mastercard.  

For 95% of transactions, a credit card will work.

When YOU MUST HAVE CASH- do not use a credit card to get it... that was the point of my FIRST post!

Use your ATM (Star,Plus Systems work in Europe)- the rate conversion will be at market rate for previous day spot price converted when it clears the ACH house on US shores.

Good luck- and do not worry about the currency issue.  Its very simple.  

By the way... the closest ATM to the Raddison is across the street in the train station... or another on the way to the shopping plaza (1.5 blocks) right before the enterence.... or there are about a dozen IN the shopping plaza... one conveniencetly located next to the bakery.
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

Just wondering, what would happen if you used USD?  Do they take it?
    2005 XC90 2.5T AWD-Titanium Grey Metallic & Lt. Taupe Leather -OSD July 8, 2005. Premium, Versatility, and Climate Packages, IPD running boards, and XPEL clear bra.

2004 V70 AWD-Nautic Blue & Tan leather-Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, GT, Cold Weather Pkg, Boosters, OSD Oct 2003 - Sold October, 2005. One of a kind color combination.

Default Imported post

There might be tourist places in Stockholm or Gothenburg that might take euros, but USD bills are not likely to be accepted.  

There was a slew of messages on using ATMs in Sweden.  I remember a Swedish member was even kind enough to post a picture of an ATM machine.  See

ATM Webpage

Purush
    '03 XC+DSTC+Premium+Touring+DVD Nav

Default Imported post

Another vote from me in favor of using your ATM card. As long as your bank/credit union does not charge exorbitant fees, it's a lot more convenient and potentially cheaper than taking foreign currency and/or travellers cheques.

One word of warning - some ATMs are Swedish language only,
    so you have to do some creative interpretation of what's written on the screen... one time I thought my transaction had failed when my card was returned, only to have the cash appear a few moments later...

AM
    2003 Platinum Green XC70, OSD March 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast