Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Imported post

Barry:

I think Low Tide is referring to the fact that Port Hueneme is the location of Del Monte's Western Distribution Center for imported bananas.  Dont underestimate what a banana could do to a ship like the Isolde!  The makers of the Titanic felt immune from iceburgs just before they went to the bottom of the Atlantic.  There is no ship that is iceberg proof nor banana proof!

Peter

Default Imported post

Yep-

That's what I meant. A family member uses the port for fruit shipments overseas...

Factoids: It is also one of the largest deep-ocean ports in the US for Oranges. My connection to the port revolves around Avocados- which are shipped to the pacific rim from Ventura. There is a massive refrigeration center there to handle fruit operations. (And no, I am not an Avocado rancher, just related to one...and don't ask for free ones either!--  Shipping is expensive, order a 35lb box at your local market and ask for wholesale pricing.  They will usually honor the requests).  

Much like Avocados, which have been cooled from the field after washing, Bananas... MUST stay that way- or they get ripe in about 3 days.

They also bring in a lot of farm liquids (fertilizers and herbicides) to send across to the valley and up the coast. Its a neat little port.

Barry! And you thought I was kidding around..... man, you guys up in the NW.... sheesh. Did you think I just fell off the Banana wagon?  Automonkey did- that's why he needed an XC... to catch up!  (Is that better without Typos AM?)

Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Low Tide @ May 01 2003,16:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My conncetion to the port revolves arounf the Avocados- which are shipped to the pacific rim from there too[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    OK LT, we&#39;ll forgive you the typos but you have to explain yourself here... Are you an Avocado farmer in your spare time?

AM (who is mighty glad that his XC70 has AWD, with all those banana skins flying around... )
    2003 Platinum Green XC70, OSD March 2003

Default Imported post

...but why is the word &quot;Bananas&quot; such a funny word ? Is it related to the state of mind a monkey goes into when given a Banana ?

Way off topic here -- SORRY.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Imported post

AM- &nbsp;reply above.... typos &quot;fixed&quot;

Barry- &nbsp;its not off topic, its a legitimate discussion of the port operations. &nbsp;As for Banana the word? &nbsp;Must just be you... its not funny&#33; &nbsp;Its a cool word though. &nbsp;If you want to make it &quot;not&quot; funny- think about the workers with their Banana knives slaving in the tropics- hours from medical care when they get bit by a Banana Tarantula or a Fer-de-lance- and die before they get medical care. &nbsp;Its a facinating industry. &nbsp;I did some post-grad research on the topic.
    Current Volvos

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (purush @ May 01 2003,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> 1. Use you car VIN on www.2wglobal.com to check if it has gotten past customs[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Purush: I can&#39;t get this to work. Can you be a bit more explicit about where to enter the VIN? (I know this isn&#39;t rocket science, but I&#39;ve tried all the &quot;Cargo tracking&quot; options).

Thanks

AM
    2003 Platinum Green XC70, OSD March 2003

Default Imported post

AM-

Try it under the &quot;&quot;cargo id&quot;&quot; prompt. &nbsp;That&#39;s where mine worked.

LT
    Current Volvos

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black

Default Imported post

Auto Monkey:

Follow this link and then click on AUTO and input your VIN. &nbsp;If it does not work then maybe you have your VIN wrong (some of those letters look like numbers and vice versa) or your car might not be on the ship. &nbsp;

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/Tool...king/index.jsp

Peter

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Low Tide @ May 01 2003,17:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I did some post-grad research on the topic.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Low Tide:

This just peaked my interest. What were you studying? Do you work in a related field? Or is that too personal for such a public forum?

Peter

Default Imported post

Low Tide:

Wait, dont answer that&#33; &nbsp;I am way off topic and I forgot what a faux pas that is on these forums. &nbsp;I&#39;ll stick to the topic at hand. &nbsp;Let&#39;s say a little prayer for the Isolde.

Amen

Peter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast