Thread: Ferrys to uk

Default Imported post

I thinking about making the last part of my OSD tour end in London. Wife wants me to take some Europian goodies over to her two sisters and my son wants to visit my elderly mother. Both of these make a good deal of sense to me and I've now started to look for routes over to UK. The drop off fee for London is about $235 I believe. This may also remove the risk of another boat sinking off the Ramsgate coastline affecting Volvo deliveries given that the $235 is most likely the cost of moving the car from London to Southampton docks

The Stenaline shows there's one from Goteborg-to-Newcastle and another to Harwich. Newcastle is quite a bit north of where I'm heading while Harwich is much closer. From what I can see the Goteborg-to-Newcastle takes cars whereas the one to Harwich doesn't. Does anyone know of a ferry to Harwich UK that does take cars? The other annoying thing is that the web sites for the Stenaline will not show prices making it hard to decide on booking and they require the car's registration plate number -- which I don't have. The ferry trip is about 35 hrs and requires one to take a berth (it's mandatory&#33. I wonder if FDC folks can help me with this one?

I guess the alternative is a long dash down the coastline to Calais and thru the Chunnel to Dover My wife says the Chunnel thing is kinda depressing as you can't get out of the car and the whole experience feels wierd! Hovercraft is maybe the answer!

Hmmmm, LHD in the UK will be strange as well

Any info is most welcomed.

Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Imported post

Barry- easier yet are the shorter car crossings in Germany and Belgium. North end of France is also an option. I recommend the lines that compete for business at Oestende. The prices are pretty competitive and the ride both to the port and across the sea are much shorter.  Hovercraft are avial, and I recall one of the fast boats takes cars too... I might be mistaken though.

Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

Low Tide: thanks for pointing me to the alternatives which I will look at -- I favor the shorter ferry crossings and possibly smoother boat ride  I may just have to wing it rather than book in advance as the ferrys from continent to UK all seem to require car's license plate number which I don't have. I'm hoping the ferry traffic isn't to high and I can get a booking on my day of arrival.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Default Imported post

Barry

Did you try looking for ferries that originate from Harwich, UK?     I tried on Google and found several companies that have either Denmark to Harwich or Gothenburg to Harwich car ferries.

sincerely
    Purush
    '03 XC+DSTC+Premium+Touring+DVD Nav

Default Imported post

purush: OK I'll try that approach as well -- thanks. The big sticking point for me at this time is that I need to provide the car's license plate number which I don't have. I may just have to telephone FDC to see if they have my plate number on hand -- but I'm trying to avoid making myself too well known at FDC at this point in time -- if you get my drift

Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son