Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Imported post

DSTC.  I wish I had it.  It could be a feature that saves you from an accident and you might not even realize that it did.  I think this feature ought to be standard.

613 vs 803.  I have the 613 and once I found the hidden equalizer function the sound was dramatically improved.  On the rare occasion that I am on the highway by myself and the radio is cranked up, I have only noticed distortion at the uppermost volume limits.

subwoof vs seats.  As said above, you have to choose.  The seats do fold down flat.  IF they are removeable, you will still have the seatbelts hanging.  The seatbelts use the same clip location as the nylon cargo nets and steel barrier.  So with the 3rd seat you can't use the barrier to seperate the cargo area from the back seats.  The barrier would still work behind the driver seats if you fold down the the all the rear seats.  Also the 3rd seat has a weight limit.  I don't recall the specifics, but it is less than 100lbs I believe.  I will be installing this seat eventually.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Imported post

AS for the third seat for children, go with the installed child seats for the second seat. They fold into the adult seats and are invisable when not deployed. I have them on my 03 for my grandaughter. The sub is not needed, spend the money and install a B&W 5.1 system in your home as I did. The 1K will buy a B&W Sub.
    Do I really need DTC? In what possible road conditions would I be sorry for not buying it?
    You will be sorry when you are in a ditch off the side of the road! -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default Imported post

DSTC:  No brainer!  I also can't figure out why this is not standard!  (We don't have it as none of the cars on the lot came equipped.)

Third row seat:  We will add it after my daughter outgrows the integrated boosters (awesome convenience with these). Even with only one child, we will add it to accommodate friends and family.

Tom
    2010 T6 - Climate, Convenience, Premium Audio, RSE, Moonroof, ABL
    2002 V70XC, sold to move to Japan

2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Arrow Imported post

Hi Stain,
    Go for DSTC! Money well spent. Third row seat over subwoofer! As far as the audio system: If money is not an issue: Audio Max: you'll get the 4X75 watt amplifier vs. the 4X50 watt. If budget is getting tight: consider just the amplifier/speaker upgrade for $200. For that money you'll get the separate 4X50 watt amplifier and high performance speakers. I think Kersti went for that option and so did I. Great sound for a low price.

I wish you wisdom on your decisions and enjoy the XC

2008 V70 2.4 Classic Sports Edition

Default Imported post

Pico- AMP/Speaker upgrade is not available.  I know- I tried to get it also....  didn't happen/won't happen.  That's WAY BELOW cost for the speakers Volvo is using... unless there is some pre-arranged "deal" with your local dealer.  The 2004 OSD price sheet reflects this now.

Here is what's available beyond the package....

There is an AMP (4x50) upgrade for $200 via OSD only.

Speaker upgrade will run approx $750-1050 (depending on choice) additional plus installation labour (3-4 hours) at the DEALER only.  Call your dealer for a quote

The package is the best deal.

Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

Hello,
    IMHO a surround setup in combination with a CD player is not the best way for hi-fi reproduction of music (as far as this is possible).
    Since the CD is a 2 channel device, a surround processor will send some of the stereo info to the rear, whereas the recording session only existed of "front information".
    This could mean that the trumpets sound from behind, just as if you were in the middle of the orchestra. Normally the audience is in front of the performers, the music coming to them from the stage. Reconstructing this stage is the ultimate goal of an audio system.
    Of course there is amnbient information in a music hall, but to reproduce this in a realistic way you need a source that has front and rear tracks recorded, such as a DVD player. Even then, the result will only be realistic if the recording was made in a surround setup, not if the master tape was simply remixed to fit the surround picture.
    So if you ask me: with CD, stereo will do, I would spend my money on good front speakers (including tweeters), a subwoofer is optional and a matter of personal taste.
    Of course, the Dynaudio speakers are excellent.
    Greetings,
    Willy

144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Low Tide @ May 06 2003,12:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pico- AMP/Speaker upgrade is not available. I know- I tried to get it also.... didn&#39;t happen/won&#39;t happen. That&#39;s WAY BELOW cost for the speakers Volvo is using... unless there is some pre-arranged &quot;deal&quot; with your local dealer. The 2004 OSD price sheet reflects this now.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Guess there was/is a difference in the TDS/OSD specs and I was lucky to get this amplifier and speaker deal for 200 EURO. Thanks for clarifying though LT. Didn&#39;t want to mislead any OSD buyers here&#33; &nbsp;

2008 V70 2.4 Classic Sports Edition

Default Imported post

Willy,

Again nicely put. As far as the limitations of a CD- it does depend on the source recording. Most cds are simply transfers of 2 channel, yet a majority of cds recorded in the last few years have better spatial separation/positioning of instruments. That&#39;s a production improvement more than anything. (Although Lo-fi is still &quot;trendy&quot; in some genres)

The technological excellence in the production side of recording make the PLII circuitry more usable. This is particularly noticable in units like the HU-803 using the 3 channel setting. It tends to isolate voice to the center channel on the coax lead and relegate the side speakers to as faithful of a instrument/stage reproduction as is possible. In the 3 channel mode, the PLII Surround section of the processor remains off- so sound from the rear speakers is not changed at all- simply the sound is full to compensate for the loss in image depth near the windshield.

[EDIT: Its a car. The sound stage projection is dependent upon a lot of things.... it&#39;s best when the car is sitting, engine off.... SO, with that in mind, the tricks of the PL II circuit help &quot;overcome&quot; / &quot;compensate&quot; the inherent limitations of projecting sounds througout a metal box with a lot of glass...]

Another trick that the HU-803 circuits perform is to focus the sound stage (in surround mode) toward the front of the cabin-The level this occurs is user controlled with the imaging width of the chosen sound field being adjustable.

In the more expensive &quot;premium&quot; system, you are paying mainly for the speakers and the multi-disc changer.... don&#39;t forget that. The PLII circuit is there for instances where the recording is capable or you wish to utilize its simulation to overcome other deficeits in a vehicle (ie road noise).

If you simply want a high quality stereo image, the HU-613 is great. You can tune the internal equilizer to suit your style on BOTH systems. Unfortunately, you are left with the stock speakers- upgradable at the dealer. In order for those glass cone speakers to perform, the amp is really necessary. (WIZ&#39;s deal was an amazing anomaly- assuming the speakers were swapped out)

What the HU-803 offers is more options that will go &#39;beyond&#39; 2 channel &quot;hi-fidelity.&quot; [Quotes important], the bonus of a changer built into the dash, and the pre-installed premium speakers. &nbsp;Your choice.

Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

Hello Low Tide,
    I understand that some tricks are possible with CD&#39;s, but tricks they are. Since it is a stereo device by nature, only 2 channels available (left and right), and 2 channels it stays&#33; To recreate the voice in the middle of the soundstage doesn&#39;t require a third channel, a high-end 2 channel system does this very well (a stereo system has no other means).
    Indeed, for a really good audio setup (no matter the number of channels), there is a price to pay.
    Therefore, and seen the restrictions of CD in view of surround sound, I would concentrate (&#036;&#036 on a good stereo setup.
    In part, the problem is that a surround setup can sound very impressive at first, only after prolonged listening the reality comes to the surface but then the system is already bought.
    That&#39;s why I would advice to think twice before making the step.
    Happy listening,
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Default Imported post

Thanks, Guys.
    - I will keep DTC in my preliminary option list.
    - I am checking with William on whether the seat is removable since no one seems to know.
    - I will not add subwoofer
    - I will probably keep default audio system. Still looks pretty sad that although sorround sound is avilable it is not going to be useful since there is no DVD audio/video support in the navigation system (which is why I will not take it eihter).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast